Ozcut Broadheads

Thread: Back on deck

Back on deck

G'day again, Well it's been a while since I've showed my face with one thing and another going on in my life so now that things have settled a bit and I can post to the forum again I wanted to say Hi and ask for some advice.
    I've been invited to hunt on a couple of neighbouring properties near Townsville, Qld. Originally I was offered access to hunt pigs as I'm yet to put one on the deck.
    Now, I got a call yesterday morning from one of the owners saying they're having a bit of a problem with wild dogs and hoping I can give them a crack. Obviously I'm mad keen but I have limited knowledge of them and hoped some of you guys who have hunted dogs before, might be able to give me a few important tips.
    What I know (or at least think I know) is that their senses are quite good, fantastic sense of smell, good hearing and eyesight. I believe they follow routine tracks or habits in their territory and they're fairly much opportunistic for the majority of their food.

I've got two trail cameras, good binoculars, a couple of different fox callers and a shipload of patience on my aide. My confident range is out to 30m.
    Any advice or hints would be most welcome.
    Cheers guys,
    Paul
    Hey Paul, sounds like you have access to a great block there. I'm no dog expert, but I have seen dogs totally preoccupied by a mob of piglets. They would take turn harassing the sow while the others would help 'emselves to the Pork McNuggets. Not a great tip, but might be worth remembering if you see a sounder of sows and piglets.
    I always remember an old video of Tom Varney's on YouTube where he calls dogs with a Scotch Predator caller and thought that would be worth a try. He also "howls" dogs in using a cow horn - that always seemed to be something he really had a vast knowledge on as he described trying to sound like not quite the Alpha dog as he didn't want to warn other dogs off an area while sounding tough enough to make the Alpha dogs come in to kick out a lesser intruder - no idea how you do that, always sounded to technical to me LOL.
    Last edited by Aaron; 13th November 2018 at 08:29 AM.

Back on deck

Got a rabbit distress call?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    -= The Matter is Void =-
    Aaron, cheers mate. Yeah I've tried howling before when I was bush walking a lot. Lucky I was the only one there or I would have made a bloody fool of myself lol. I'll keep your advice in mind though, thanks.
    Fragarach, yep I've got a Silva Fox whistle, couple of Fox call ones and a button whistle. Also another one that sounds like a sick duck which has a good reputation.
    Spoke with Daktari today and for a few tips from him too.
    I'll certainly give it a good go and write it up.
    Cheers ��
    Wild dogs seem to have uncanny long distance vision compared to domestic dogs, especially when looking for the source of a call, I had one spot the movement of my index finger on the zoom of my camera at considerable distance, much further than I thought possible. Quite often they will just sit 100-200m away and watch, which is why they tend to wander in half hour or more after the calls have stopped, finish each call session with a short territorial howl (makes them think another dog has a kill, so may come in quicker), setting up with good visibility is a must but do it where there is some cover so they feel safe enough to come in.
    Camo hands and face are a must, rubber boots or scent control on your feet will help and keep any movement to a minimum, ever seen the clown game at your local Ag show where you put the ping pong balls in the mouth? you need to keep your movements as slow or slower than this.
    If your in nth qld chances are you can pump the rabbit distress until your blue in the face and a dog won't even lift his head (had a few totally ignore these at close range) hare/jack rabbit calls do better on dogs in s.e qld as do bird distress calls simply because there's no bunnies and up your way should be similar, early morning howling sessions are the best bet imo even just to locate packs.
    Also it helps to walk the property with a domestic dog during the day and watch the body language, quite often they will take you to a den or at least will give you an idea of sign posts, pads and dingo movement on the property. If you find a den, set up an ambush point and wait late afternoons (avoid them in the morning), if in ambush, don't expect a pack to walk single file down a pad/track either, even 2 or 3 dingoes will fan right out through the bush on each side of a pad usually with the alpha bitch on the main pad so eyes peeled.
    Listen like a boss, deer seem to appear out of nowhere silently but I've found with dogs you will hear twigs snapping leaves rustling for some time before they wander in, not too fussed about being silent.
    Its worth to set up off the ground if possible even a metre or so as they tend to come in slow with nose to the ground and helps to get you out of line of sight at close range to draw your bow.
    Having them rush in to you like a hungry fox pup is not the norm, even young dogs will calculate a situation and be smart about it.
    Best times vary throughout the year as to what they are doing, and now we are at the tail end of having young dogs looking for new territory. For year round, the week before a full moon tends to see an increase in daytime movement too.

If you are stalking or howling or you have dogs close and you hear 1-3 short yaps, your done, these are warnings to other members of the pack and the game is over and they are already gone, continuing to call at this point is a mistake and will simply educate them.
    A dose of good luck will help too
    Last edited by Rhino1; 15th November 2018 at 09:46 AM.
    One of our members, Jim Miller from the forum is a professional trapper for the state, not to mention a gentleman and gave me some DVDs a while back and I would be happy to send a copy to you, although these are focused on trapping they have heaps of good info about the habits of wild dogs in general.
    Last edited by Rhino1; 15th November 2018 at 09:05 AM.
    What about over a carcass if you get lucky on a pig?
    Rhino, cheers bud, that's a huge help! I've also got a couple of trapping DVDs and have picked up a few tips there but like you said, it's tailored for trapping hey, so hunting will be a different scene. Thanks heaps man, a huge help.
    Booster, yeah hoping to set up a spot to lay a carcass or two. Haven't shot there before so I'll scope the blocks out first and work out the best place for it.
    Fingers crossed!