Arrowhead Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nth West Queensland hunt.

About two months ago I received an invitation from my mate Pete to a weekend hunt in Nth West Queensland. The hunt would involve flying from our homes in Port Macquarie to Brisbane, then changing to a flight to Townsville where we would overnight at his brother's place, then an 8 hour drive to the property the next day. We would arrive at the property at about 2pm and have two full days after that. I jumped at the chance, I know the area is home to some of the meanest boars and getting access to properties in the area is extremely hard.

The trip was organized by Paul, a mate of Pete's nephew Branden who would also be going, along with his boss and Paul's father. When Paul asked the stn manager if we could come along he apparently said if those blokes are crazy enough to tackle these boars with a bow and arrow then bring them up.

The days flew by and before we knew it we were driving through the gates of the property which had a 360 degree view of nothing, just flat plains with a heat haze rising up courtesy of the 40 deg temperature. Intros were quickly over and the stn manager piled us all in the back of his tray back Cruiser and commenced a partial tour of the block.

The stn runs over 5000 head of cattle which are watered via tanks fed by Artesian bores and there are also two rivers which are dry most of the year but one does have a small water hole that is permanent. These are the areas we would be hunting.

We pulled up about 300mts from the first tank and Pete and I were sent in with our bows, the stn manager had been seeing pigs at this tank daily for a couple of weeks. There was plenty of sign there but no pigs so we headed for the next tank which also had a small waterhole beside it. We were sent in again and this time found about half a dozen pigs moving nervously between the water and some trees. We watched from some cover hoping they would settle down but they obviously sensed something was not right and headed for some cover.

We then headed for the permanent waterhole. Our approach was perfect with good cover and the wind in our faces, Pete and I in the front followed by the other 4 with enough firepower to start world war three close behind. I poked my head over the top of the bank and saw a large boar asleep in his wallow as well as about half a dozen assorted other pigs. The distance looked about 30mts and my sights were already set for 30mts, I contemplated taking the shot then talked myself into ranging it first as my distance gauging is not the best. I had just pressed the button on my rangefinder when something or someone spooked them, in a flash they were gone. I ranged the wallow and it was exactly 30mts, I was disappointed at not taking the shot but filled with confidence for the next two days of hunting.

Next morning we again checked out some tanks, finding nothing we headed back to the waterhole. There was nothing there either but we decided to wait and see if the heat would bring any in. About an hour later a good boar showed his head but a missed shot from one of the shooters had him and any other pigs in the area heading for distant pastures. We knew it would be some time before anything else would come in so we headed back to the homestead for a feed.

After lunch we decided our best chance was to head back and stake out the waterhole, there was good shade there from the 40deg+ temps and we could watch the freshwater crocodiles to pass the time. At about 5pm our patience was rewarded when a good boar appeared on the opposite bank. We had the various distances to obvious reference points ranged, 30mts to the waters edge where we expected the shot would present itself and 40mts to the top of the opposite bank. This boar looked like he would come down for a drink so we waited but at the last minute he changed his mind and continued along the top of the bank heading down river.

Pete was on a mission, following the boar just far enough back not to alert him on the opposite bank. I stayed where I was to reduce the chances of spooking the boar. Unknown to us there was a small soak about 200 mts down stream and that was where he was heading. Pete waited until he had his head down and took the shot from 45mts, when the boar jumped up it sprayed blood over a large arc on the bank indicating a perfect heart shot. The boar rolled back down to where it was hit and never moved. Pete came back and told of his success and it was high fives, the bow and arrow boys had their first and the gun boys were still to score. We walked back to take some photos of the boar and Pete showed where he shot it from. It was a big animal, probably 80kg though it looks smaller in the photos, and had that high shoulder, razorback look to him.

Pete's boar full res.jpg

Pete's boar full res (2).jpg

Next morning Paul drove us to another part of the property where the manager had shot a couple of brumbies a few weeks before. There was nothing left of them except a bit of skin and some bones, they probably fed the pigs for a couple of days but in these temps carcass's don't last long. We checked out some more tanks for no result then headed back for yet another feed. A few of the gun boys had found some pigs in the open and sent some shots their way but no confirmed kills.

After lunch Pete and I decided to spend our last afternoon back at the waterhole as it was the most inviting piece of ground on the property. We waited patiently and at about 5.30 another boar arrived just as Pete's boar had the day before only this one looked bigger. It was also a colour I had never seen before, jet black body with red legs. He approached cautiously, taking a few minutes to move from partial cover to the top of the bank then just like Pete's boar he hesitated coming down to the water and started moving across the opposite bank instead. I knew the distance was 40mts so quickly adjusted my sights and drew the bow hoping he would prop. I had a tree on my side of the river between me and the boar which was giving me cover and as luck would have it he stopped perfectly where I had a small shooting lane. I released the arrow and saw a nice red splash where I was aiming, he jumped up sending blood everywhere and disappeared over a mound but we knew he was going nowhere so we decided to wait a short while in case there were any more following him.

After about ten minutes we couldn't wait any longer as we both wanted a closer look at this bloke. We found him about 30mts from where he was hit, the arrow had hit a rib on the way in preventing a complete pass through. The 125gr Vandieman broadhead had done its job and was ready to go again but the Chinese Linkboy shaft had broken at the rib when the boar rolled on the protruding section, the first one I have broken. He was a solid animal with hooks big enough to give your legs a good touch up.

My boar full res.jpg

My boar head full res .jpg

Our trip was over before we knew it, the stn manager said we were welcome back whenever we wanted so another trip when a bit cooler may hopefully be on the cards.
    Two cracking boars mate, awesome colours on that fella of yours.
    Gotta be keen to go that far for a pig, well done.
    Nice pigs, did you take the hooks out of yours?
    PSE stinger 3g @60lb
    Trophy ridge micro revolution rest
    IQ ultra lite 5 pin
    Easton power fight 400
    awesome work mate! well done
    Thanks guys, we had a ball and yes Rhino, we are keen. We only had an hour or so of daylight left Dan so we left the hooks there, Pete took his from the day before though and boiled them up that night.
    Nice one, long way to travel for a weekend, paid off though, nice pigs and good little story.

Randal
    Quote Originally Posted by randal View Post
    Nice one, long way to travel for a weekend, paid off though, nice pigs and good little story.

Randal
    Thanks mate. Travelling doesn't bother us, we often drive 8 hours each way for a weekend hunt but the airfares hurt a bit.
    Good one mate certainly an adventure.
    Sneak
    Stick, String and Sharp Things what could possibly go wrong?

Sneak, Sneak, Sneak, Whack!!!

RUN BOY RUN UPA TREE UPA TREE!!!!
    Awesome stuff Geoff and always good seeing and hunting new country. Congratulations on a couple of nice boars and sounds like u might need to spend more than a few days up there next time.
    Drenalin rush :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    Good one mate certainly an adventure.
    Sneak
    Thanks Sneak.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast