I was lucky enough to score a trip with a good mate out to West Qld before Christmas. It'd been a rough year with more than our fair share of those ****ty moments in life so this was the medicine we sorely needed, a trip to the red soil country to try to get a first pig for us both 😀
We took the drive west from Rockhampton with trailer loaded with gear. We managed to squeeze a few bales of lucerne for their horses into the trailer before we left and arrived late afternoon. Met the property owners and had a good chat over a cuppa tea. We got the ins and outs of where the rabbits and pigs were and where the watering holes were. They'd been lucky enough to get about 90mm of rain a week or so before we arrived so it spread the pigs out a bit more than usual.
We set up camp on the east side of a rocky outcrop to afford some shelter from the afternoon sun, this proved to be a very sensible decision as the temperatures broke 40 most days.
We poked around a bit on the first day just to get our bearings and stake out a couple of small dams. The next day we set out to drive the perimeter of a couple of paddocks early in the morning before the sun woke up properly. Following down the fence line we spotted a couple of black shapes a few hundred metres away. We both realised that there were no black cattle on the station so the excitement escalated quickly. We idled down to the corner fence and cut the engine. Still a good 200m away we climbed through the fence and started a steady stalk along the treeline. Wind was cross our path and sun on our side so we were good to go.
At about 100m or so a little black pig started to trot in my direction, literally straight toward me. It didn't slow down til about 40m then at 30m it turned side on and trotted over to the fence nudging some clods of dirt. I couldn't believe it, this just doesn't happen. I had already mocked my arrow tipped with a very sharp 125gr van diemen broadhead. The shot was quick and hit the mark just in front of the back leg, exiting out through the left shoulder with a good 5 inches of open wound. The arrow buried in the soft red sand and the pig took a surprisingly quiet but quick loop back to the trees no more than 10m from me. I'd trotted into the bush and fell over. I approached it and it was obviously in a very bad way. I quickly dispatched it and then reflected on what seemed so surreal.
Days were very hot and we valued fridge space a lot so we left this one for the wedgies.
All in all it was a fantastic trip. We hunted more and managed to get a couple more young pigs. Saw some beautiful countryside, some amazing animals and birds and got a real appreciation for what it's like out there for our farmers.