In the last 18 months I've really taken a 'shine' to using D2 carbon steel as a knife but being the sort of person to do things outside the box has lead to the making of this blade.
Somewhere along the line it occurred to me that this would be an excellent steel to construct a blade with an extremely hard edge and a much softer spine.
After a bit of trial and error (not to mention a few cracked blades), I had success with a knife I made for myself.
D2 is normally quenched using forced air, with this the spine was insulated with fireproof cement and this was air quenched for 2 seconds then just the first 3mm of blade was water quenched for 3 seconds and then tempered as normal.
Here's the finished product. The handle is a piece of ironbark root burl I found at the creek, cut from the chunk in the background.
IMG_20181204_140242-01.jpg

Blade specs.
Handle 110mm long, 4.2mm thick, extensively drilled, chain style filing on spine, quilted ironbark scales, Alabama Damascus bolsters, brass pins.
Blade. 130mm long, 2.8mm thick with a full face grind.
Sheath is 4mm saddle leather with a fallow stag/leaf embossed by hand.
IMG_20181204_140111-01.jpg
I like D2 because its decent tool steel and doesn't want to rust up as quick as other carbons do.
The knife has now dispatched two pigs and butchered 4, including cutting up the roasts as well as a heap of bushcraft stuff and everything was effortless and although it will be a brute to re sharpen one day, it holds a reliable edge extremely well.
Cheers for reading