Ozcut Broadheads
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1


    I think I may have done this story before but I could not locate it so ill post bit again.


    Things happen and times change so when a property that I frequently hunt on went on the market for sale I was disappointed to say the least, devastated that it was now sold and waiting on a settlement date. With work and family commitments eating away at my time I only had a few weekends on which to get out for a hunt and say goodbye to the manager and his wife as they would not be staying on.

    But when one door closes another opens, so upon learning that the new owner was a neighbour of sorts and with good words put in on my behalf from the previous owner and manager along with a personal visit when I was in the area for work I was able to still gain access plus the possibility of an additional 300,000 acres to poke around on. A marvellous outcome, it sure does pay to do the right thing at all times.

    So with a date fixed to visit I set about to find a hunting partner to accompany me on the hunt. I have a few regular hunting partners but Ben Vanwyk the usual was working and could not make it, so I asked Luke aka Lvkmi to tag along and he too had his brother’s wedding. I have also had the pleasure of meeting Magilla and we talk often so I invited him as well but he too had family commitments, so was down the Allen “bowie” bowman and he too could not make the trek up from down south. Looks like this was to be a solo mission for four days of chasing boars and billies.

    I was to be using my old 70# Hoyt carbon element on this trip as I would be using a G5 optix 2 sight that I wanted to trial. So after paper tuning and setting it up I did some bare shaft tuning which led to a minor adjustment of the yoke and I had my Easton axis 300’s flying beautiful and very accurate out to 60 meters. So I set about sharpening an arsenal of arrows for the trip, as I do not like to waste time on the hunt sharpening or repairing arrows when time could be better spent on the ground hunting.

    The morning came for departure and as per usual the alarm was not required as I lay awake in anticipation of such times so thought why not I may as well get up and leave now. I was already fuelled and packed up so with a quick stop in at the servo for a bacon and egg roll plus a coffee I hit the road.

    We had had some recent rains these past few months and the country side was looking brilliant but we could always use more as long as it did not come along while I was out I would be happy, fingers crossed. With the sun rising to meet me I stopped for a few minutes to capture the essence of its arrival as it toppled out above a floodplain I was traveling.

    Being a solo hunt I was quite prepared for most disasters that could occur, I carry enough gear in my back pack consisting of food and water for the day along with some first aid equipment and some emergency devices such as an epirb and since I was not in a hunting pair as usual with a radio which I still carried I also opted to carry my satellite phone as well as an added bonus. Below is a breakdown of what I carry on a hunt from clothes to archery gear, it may seem like to much but as said I was by myself and miles from anyone, better to have it and not need it then want it and not have it.

    Gear in photo below listed in no particular order.

    Garmin 450T GPS, camera, sat phone, 10x42 binos, epirb, radio, first aid kit (assortment of bandages, band aids, steriliser, pain killers, fier blanket, tweezers, pins, plastic bags etc), spare battery’s for electronics, toilet paper, matches, lighter, colour map, powder bottle for wind, game callers/whistles, leatherman knife, skinning knife, large knife for jaw/horn removal, folding saw, rope, measuring tape, electrical tape, tape for blisters, cable ties, 2 x tripods, 3L water bladder, led lensor P7 and head lamp, spare “D” loop etc, release aid, range finder, bow and arrows, spoon and snacks etc, knife sharpener, broad heads for pig jaws. I also sometimes carry extra arrows if I think I will encounter more game and some electrolytes as well.

    All this gear fits in my back pack with more room to carry extra clothing if required; I also have a bow sling that I keep between the mesh support of the back pack which can be reached without having to remove the back pack.

    As most avid hunters and travellers my eyes were scouring the country side taking in the scenery and the sounds of the Australian bush and happened to pick up this young spotted harrier sitting on a post doing the same as me, looking for critters to hunt.

    After the recent rains it was pretty evident that a lot of surface water was around so the game would be pretty spread out, this along with the goats fetching a price of $1.80 a kilo would make finding a respectable billy or a goat at all pretty hard.

    Getting to the quarters mid-morning I set about setting up my bed and getting my kitchen ready as I would not be back until after dark as I was heading out to check some likely spots close to the main dam.

    I headed out towards some water that I had seen on my travels in the hope of finding a pig nosing around or maybe a goat or two. But I found neither except for the odd masked lapwing better known to me as a plover that was screeching and swooping about.

    With plenty of water about it certainly was going to be hard to locate some critters.

    I was scouting long a large flat and looked up ahead to see two brolgas walking along about 100 meters in front, these brolgas are normally pretty vocal and flee at the first site of danger from a few hundred meters out but they just ambled along knowing full well that I was near. This got me to thinking that they may have had some young chicks or a nest close bye so I started to scan left and right and sure enough I spotted two chicks trying to sneak off.

    I quickly followed them up and seen them duck down in some taller foliage and snuck in for some pictures and some video, a true high light of my trip and a very rare moment when out in the bush doing what we love.


    I returned to the huts for a quick nibble as not much sign was seen other than some bird life and some livestock. Jumping in the colorado I headed out to do a little recon trip to a part of the property I had not been to. The area looked promising with a good feeding flat and a spot that could hold some water as well as I found plenty as picture below.

    Arriving at my starting point to hunt I geared up and checked the wind and set off with it blowing in my face. The area screamed pig so I cautiously walked scanning left and right as I went. Breaking out into a clearing I glassed the area and soon found a few swine nosing around on the far side. With a clump of trees in the middle of the clearing which was close to some gilgai’s that should have water I guessed correctly in that the pigs would make their way there.

    I was just getting into the shade provided from the trees when the first of the pigs arrived, these being a heavily pregnant sow and her slips from last season consisting of a few small boars and sows. With one of the boars being the target I ever so slowly edged closer until I was within range and waited. The big sow looked up a few times and moved away slowly checking for danger, staying dead still with full camo on and a good wind it was not long before one of the boars turned broadside offering a shot.

    The Easton axis 300 was poised and ready and was soon in anchor at around 30 meters from the little ginger boar, holding for a split second when the pin hovered around the mark the shot was cut with the arrow passing through completely. The small boar let out a soft grunt and ran off a short distance in some cover before the ill effects of a hair popping razor sharp broad head took its effect and he succumb to the well placed arrow.


    Getting some quick photos I continued the hunt and ventured off to a large feeding flat that usually held some pigs late in the afternoon. Nearing the area and hearing and then seeing the amount of bird life suggested to me that some water was present and present it was. This area is in a really good catchment and it caught every drop these last few months with the usual ankle deep water after a good rain now at a draw dropping thigh deep level.

    I continued walking along and around some edges with the wind right for hunting getting wet here and there but knew this flat went for several kilometres so had to cross it sooner or later as it got too dark to hunt.

    It soon came too dark to hunt so I ever so slowly crossed the great expanse of water, a few more mossies and I could have flown over the water instead. It surely will continue on being a great place to hunt in the future and so deserved an effort by me to come back a couple of days later in some better daylight to capture some pictures and some video and maybe find a pig to hunt to boot.

    Glassing the area looking for some swine.


    Getting back to camp that night I was as hungry as a hostage so set about cooking up a feed of scotch fillet steaks with some onion on the side washed down with a cold can of coke and being that a pig had hit the deck today I had the “pig hunter” stubby cooler and not the “bow hunter”.


  2. #2
    The day broke cold and crisp in the morning, being that the temperatures were to be around 2-3 degrees overnight I took my time in the morning before driving off to check some other area’s I frequent when out hunting. Cruising along and all of a sudden a bird being a plover jumps up in the middle of the road and spreads its wings batman style and I drive right over top of it. Thinking it has a nest I stop to capture some pictures before moving off again, the plover luckily ducked down in time and survived as well. Can you spot the nest?

    I get to one of the dams I wanted to inspect and find once again that it too has had a good drenching and water is everywhere. I traverse around looking for pigs or some sign and find very little so don’t waste too much time looking for them here as i wanted to get to some uncharted areas that looked to be good feeding locations from my scouting using Google earth.


    With a ways to travel to the area intended and it now being the middle of the day when most pig’s bed up I took my time taking in the scenery and the setting before me. Getting to another dam I needed to turn my colarado into tank/boat to navigate the water lying around in the channels and the flat around it, the amount of water was just unbelievable.

    I usually print out a coloured map from Google earth and laminate it when I go hunting, this gives an overview of the area I wish to hunt and along with the maps north pointer and the north pointer on my gps I can pin point where I am on the map and correlate the current wind direction in regards to it and get the wind right for where I aim to start my hunt.

    I was just getting to such a starting point and was headed off by some water in some channels that looked very boggy, I just looked up to circumnavigate my way round when a good boar was spotted out a few hundred meters in the open feeding on the vast flood plain I was on, “looks like this spot will do” I muttered to myself as I quickly shut the engine off and got out and geared up for a stalk on the big brute.


    It was around 2pm in the afternoon and with this boar way out in the open it was going to be one tough stalk to get into range for a shot. I had the wind blowing from my right to my left so I could not venture to far to my right and with what cover was available I decided a direct approach would be suffice. Once again the boots and pants got wet up too my knees as I needed to cross two channels to get into range, luckily for me I was prepared for this and had bought two pairs of hunting shoes for the trip so could swap out once back at camp for the next day’s hunt.

    I had just crossed the last channel and was at my last bit of cover being a large lignum bush; with the boar still 65 meters away and feeding I just said if I could get to forty I would have a crack at him. I glacially moved out from cover and proceeded to try and close the distance in on the hog. He looked up every now and then at the strange shape moving closer before he got a little wary and started to feed off away from me taking his time as he went.

    I have seen this before when they pretend to feed along but are swaying from side to side using their peripheral vision as they walk trying to catch a glimpse of you trying to play catch up with quicker movements. I was onto him as he tried this method of detecting danger and stayed put. Looking ahead of his intended route there was a real green patch of feed and a good spot for him to stop and take his time and hopefully settle down.

    Anticipating this stoppage I started my move and ranged him along with a smaller clump of scrub between him and myself. If I could get to this predetermined spot I would take the shot. Ever so slowly and gradually I eased closer into position. My heart started to pump a little quicker in the realisation that a shot might be forthcoming, getting to my spot I ranged him and he was 50 meters on the smacker, I have to get closer and so tried but he started to get wary again and looked up. I could reach the dial on the G5 sight with my bow holding hand so adjusted it to 48 meters. Already with the release aid clipped on the boar started to feed again and came broadside.

    The Hoyt carbon element came into anchor with a solid wall and the red glow of the pin fibre hovered tantalisingly around the boars shoulder, I just moved it slightly to the right to allow for the crosswind and not even realising it the shot was away without any effort, the arrow crossed the open plain in no time and dropped down like a heat seeking missile into the bunker but the bunker was his chest cavity and I had collected high lungs and the spine and dropped the boar on the spot.

    I moved into closer and to my right the get a better angle and pumped another into the boiler room for good measure. I was ecstatic and thrilled with the shot and end result, getting my boots wet was well worth it in the end as it was one of the first things I said to myself at the start of the stalk, unfortunately with the stop and start of the hunt numerous times I had pressed pause on my tactcam video recorder and missed the shot on video, so here is a few pictures instead.

    Meanwhile at the other end of the flood plain more pigs had come out to feed so I set forth in their direction but circling out to my left to try and get to the tree line for some cover. These pigs were in even less cover than the boar so I was going to be mission impossible for sure. Kangaroos often stuff up stalks and this was looking to be the case with this one as a few specimens were out feeding about 150 meters from me and a further 150-200 meters from the pigs.

    The mob of roo’s started to hop off towards the scrub line and picked up a few more roo’s on the way as well, this in turn alerted the mob of pigs who vacated the scene as well but slowed down in the tree line to mill around again but this time there was cover to allow a stalk to take place. With a strong wind in my face I used the shady side of the tree line as cover and sneaked along glassing as I went. I soon found the pigs on the side of a sand hill under a tree chewing on what seemed to be the remaining bones of a cow that had passed.

    There were four pigs all up milling around the old carcass under the tree, manoeuvring around some small hopbushes and getting to the end of my cover provided from the shade I was at 25 meters and ready to rip in. A big old sow propped up on queue broadside so she became my target; the limbs of the element flexed its muscles and sent the arrow down on its path, she let out a loud grunt before moving up into some cover.

    The remaining pigs all vacated except one silly one that decided to just move off a short way to feed. I casually walked over to inspect the impact zone and this one pig still just fed along. I’m sure if I tried to stalk her she would be onto me for sure. I don’t get to many opportunities out this way as I do a lot of day trips so at 34 meters I dialled in the sight and sent an Easton axis her way connecting with a great shot low down in the heart. She bolted up into the sand hill as well with blood seen pumping from her chest as she left.

    After gathering up my arrows and getting photos I walked back to the car and had a late lunch, getting some fresh arrows and with plenty of time left I wanted to continue the hunt on another channel a little bit further up so I fired up the colarado and skirted the remaining water channels. Making my own way over a sand dune I was greeted with another large flood plain but this one had an abundance of cover being the ever present lignum which was nice and green and with some lush vegetation as feed should produce a pig or two.

    This spot also screamed pig and with lots of sign noted I took my time weaving and skirting through the lignum, I was lucky that it was just sparse enough to allow you to hunt slowly thru instead of scaring every critter within cooee away as you navigated its impenetrable fortress at times.

    I did come across what I now know as two boars feeding along the channels bottom which did hold a little water, walking slowly as I was 50 meters from the pig when it was first spotted I ever so gently got into a better position for a shot as it fed along, I was nearing a lignum bush at around 20 meters from the boar when an unseen boar that happened to be on the opposite side of the lignum bush I was next to suddenly erupted from its feeding area from a few metres away, it shot off towards his mate and both vacated the area unscathed. That’s hunting I guess so I ventured further up the basin so to speak in pursuit of more.

    I continued out and around in a big horse shoe shaped arc and started my way back to the vehicle still hunting the lignum flat I started on but on its southern edge. With only an hour or so left of light being what’s known as the witching hour it’s a good time to find hogs on the move and that’s exactly what happened when I broke thru a little cover to spot a nice solid black and white hog making his way to a little red sand bench that protruded out into the lignum flat.

    He was loan boar the one’s that we try to find, he got up atop of the bench, turned around and then sat down like a kelpie dog sits overlooking his heard of sheep. With this he in turn was a tad lower than some surrounding vegetation and I quickened the pace to close the gap. With the wind blowing from right out into the lignum flat another large black loan boar caught my scent and started making his departure from the area on a trot in between me and the spotty fellow, lucky for me as the spotty fella was laying down he did not see the departing boar.

    Edging closer to my original objective he got up and started to nose around and make his way along the bench’s fringe. Weaving thru the blue bush he was in and out of view as I closed the distance, strangely the wind died right down possibly because we were close to the edge of the flat with the large coolabah trees offering protection from the wind. With the extra quietness the big brute got suspicious and went to move off. I had drawn once or twice and predicted his departure route so was at full draw as he strolled out into my shooting lane.

    At 30 meters quartering away the arrow was sent and collected the boar in front of his right hip and angled towards his offside shoulder, he immediately took flight and ran towards some lignum on the flat. Not wanting to lose him I was in pursuit but circling to my left to get a better wind and to try and get in front if the opportunity arose and it did.

    He slowed right down to a complete stop on the side of the flat; I was in the semi open and closing the distance very cautiously. With no cover and expecting the boar to continue his current route, it would have left me in plain view as he stepped out from cover. I have been in this situation before and you normally get busted and the critter vacates most times, but with an injured boar it is unpredictable so I tried to circle to my right and shoot around/over a lignum bush which hopefully would have gave me a quartering away shot and be more out of his view, BOY WAS I WRONG.

    I had already drawn and was moving slightly to my right to open up the angle when the big hog decided to turn about face when he was out of view from me. Thinking I still had the advantage with the lignum as cover, BOY WAS I WRONG. This thing was more cranky than a 1000 mosquitoes in a manikin factory as it started my way in its current frame of mine which happened to be a big angry, mad, livid, fuming, enraged, irate tusk chomping beast which zeroed in on my location from 12 meters at an excessive amount of knots smashing through the lignum in front of me like it was thin air.

    I had been pretty lucky thus with boars charging and as I was full drawn I did not want to waste my only chance at survival or existence with a battle or combat with this black and white demon of the dust that was bearing down upon me. They do not get the undisputed and undeniable reputation of lignum warrior for nothing.

    Just like my adversary the adrenalin was pumping and giving me the support to remain calm at such a horrific occasion, as he broke thru the lignum at a mere 2 meters I dropped the hammer on the release and drilled him just below the eyes and down into his vitals unknown to me at the time. As expected he did not slow down so the old footy move of shimmy shimmy shake shake prevailed and had me dancing around him to avoid a massive collision of flesh and bone twice having him brush past my pants leg in one hair raising, butt clenching, and heart pumping frantic few seconds of my life.

    After the initial two step dance I darted out away still carrying my bow and somehow managed to capture some very close up video footage of the action as it unfolded. Stopping a little way off I hardly remember drawing my bow but I sent another arrow at the menace from around 25 meters to put him down for good.

    Well well a few expletives on my behalf came from between my lips as the adrenalin hit its peak and really set in, all in all it was a moment in my hunting career that I will never forget and will never wish upon any one, I was very lucky to come away unscathed and unharmed, if I had my time again would I do the same, you bet I would it was one rush you cannot describe but will be retold in my camp fire for many years to come I can assure you.

    You can see that the arrow reached into his vitals with the second shot, this was proved as the arrow had broken and the broad head was retrieved from his chest cavity.

    Below is a snap shot of the video footage captured during my tango on the clay pan with the big brute beast. Note the arrow between the eyes, it sure had my freckle clenching and stroking at maximum velocity.

    I pay my respects to a very worthy adversary.


    Light was fading fast so I started back for my vehicle with a cross wind coming from my right and heading to my left, halve way back I spooked a sow and some piglets who were out feeding and watched as the little fellas tried to catch up to mum as she vacated stage left. Rounding some lignum as it started to open up I knew I was nearing a very large clearing that I was parked alongside of.

    It was a welcome site to see my vehicle but not as welcoming as the two boars seen babysitting the colarado while I was away, they were about 80 meters to the south of it. I quickly navigated a bit to my left to get a better wind and started their way with an arrow on the string ready to send down the line towards one of the critters. I drew back a few times on both pigs from around 35 meters as they fed and milled around but not giving me the shot I wanted.

    Eventually one stood broadside long enough and the element sprang into action arching its limbs and sending an arrow on its way, because of the fading light the arrow was not seen collecting the swine high in the shoulder and only collecting one lung. They both took off before my boar stopped on the edge of the clearing and the other started to feed again. My range finder said 63 meters and a small clump of brush said 23 so if I could get to that bush I would have a 40 meter follow up shot and it did not disappoint as it punched on through his air bags to have him down in ten more meters.

    What an end to a glorious day of hunting which entailed some beautiful scenery and wildlife along with scouting out of some very promising new country and getting the job done a some local porcine as well. I was certainly very content and pleased and could not take away the smile from my face as I relived the exciting moments of the day on my travels back to camp.


  3. #3
    The next day dawned bright and sunny and would be a good time to visit a nice big feeding flat surrounded by a large red sand hill. Along its edges you can find some immature lignum that provides enough cover for the critters while they like to feed, dotted about here and there are some smaller trees providing some added cover for stalking. Arriving and with a good wind I set about getting to the highest vantage point to glass the flat and as usual something will turn up, this area has not let me down yet.

    Spotting a sow and young I also happened to spot two boars not too far away from her feeding as well. Walking slowly around using the available woody weeds as cover on the sand ridge to get a perfect wind for my approach was just a very casual stroll as it was still cool and they would be out feeding for a little while longer yet.

    Just breaking the edge of the scrub I took my time until the swine were located once again as they out of my view for a little while. The sow was off to my left while the two boars were a little further to my right, surveying their movements I ascertained that they would follow the sow so with a plan to reach a small stand of trees in the middle of them would have the two boars feed pass me at around 25 meters.

    Reaching the trees without any problems I just had to wait for the boars to feed across to my shooting lane. Several minutes later it started to happen and the heart rate slowly increased in anticipation as the well-planned hunt unfolded. Both pigs fed into view and were within range I just needed either one to give me the optimum angle for a shot.

    I drew on one boar and he slightly changed his angle so I shifted my feet a little while holding at full draw until the angle opened up again and I let rip. My first instinct was I may have hit him a touch back, this was confirmed as he did not go down within view as he started to make his escape circling back round the way I had come with him being in the open the whole time.

    With this I sprinted back up the sand hill to get back in front of him and then circled around hopefully to catch up to him. My sprint payed dividends as I located him slowly making his way along a pad which pretty much would have him walk right into my vehicle. Luckily he stopped a short way off and as I closed the distance in the soft sand with a finisher ready he spotted some movement and faced my direction. Already at full draw I put the pin him as he quartered onto me and had my arrow wiz past his jaw line to smash into his chest and exited out his last rib dropping him on the spot.


    Being that I was back at my car I decided that I would go and check another spot several kilometres away. This new area was a very large black soil plain surrounded by coolabah trees and with some thick lignum at its one end. Upon arrival it was seen to be holding many sheep feeding along with a few fresh new lambs, not wanting to spook them I decided to turn back and head to another flat that fed away from a large dam hopefully to find a goat or two.

    Checking the dam and then glassing the open expanse behind it showed nothing other than some logs in the distance so I set off down the road to another area that was good in the past and should have a good wind with its current direction. Only a couple of hundred meters from the logs they started to appear like a mob of goats way out in the open that someone rounded up and shot and left them were they lay.

    “Nah that can’t be right” i said to myself I’m the only one here. I had just finished saying that when one of the so called dead billies lifted his head to scratch his back with his horns. “HOLLY CRAP” as I shut down the engine and stopped, luckily they were all just asleep catching some mid-day rays and warming up on the clay pan.

    With a bad wind and absolutely no cover I just sat in the vehicle and surveyed the mob for around 40 minutes. Slowly one by one they got up and moved off to bed down again before another moved off again and started to feed which ever so leisurely got the rest interested and they began to feed off into the sand hills together with me in hot pursuit closing the distance.

    They fed across the open and started up a sand hill into some cover, when the last one was from view I galloped up and eased my way into the scrub, it was only a small stand of woody weeds on a little rise before it opened out again, I was within range of a few smaller billies which I could of taken easily but I wanted a bigger sample so left them to be as the ones I wanted were at the front of the mob.

    Eventually some of the smaller ones got restless with the strange statue nearby and when one snorted the whole mob grouped up together and started moving off. Being quite harassed of late they were very toey and did not settle down. My only hope was to get in front but as they were heading straight into the wind this could not happen, so that left me with either following from behind or try to circle around a bit to the side.

    I opted for the latter with a bit of a gamble as they would be out of my view while I tried to circle round and I may lose them as they were not being very vocal at all. Thinking I was to the side enough but not quite in front I waited on one side of an opening anticipating they would pass within view giving me a shot.

    Waiting patiently they started to come into view but only a small portion of the mob would pass giving me shot. Quickly ranging a view bushes a nice grey shaggy billie stopped long enough for a shot but upon release started walking again with my arrow collecting him mid ribs around the kidneys instead of the vitals.

    He let out bellow that had the mob change direction and head into some thicker vegetation, not wanting to lose him I marked the spot on my GPS and followed up hastily. Not one hundred meters into the chase I skirted round a very dense stand of hopbush and we practically came face to face at a few meters, Man I was like Billy the Kid and had that element up and into action before he could blink an eye, with all my pins covering him just dropped the hammer and punched one straight thru his chest which seen him make one last ditch attempt of escape before he succumb to the fatal blow.

    He passed on the edge of the clearing I was going to hunt so I dragged him down for a photo with the water in the back ground before I continued on with my hunt.

    I had one last afternoon hunt in a great area to the west of where I currently was. After a short walk I happened on to some more pigs but they only turned out to be sows so were left alone. Walking along I came across an echidna out scrounging around foraging for food. I have not seen one of these guys out here before so I stood watching at distance as set about his business.

    There’s always that one last ridge, that one last mountain or valley or flat that needs scouting and this was the case with me, but I had the very unfortunate circumstance of a tail wind and fading light so I was pretty disappointed but elated at the same time to crest that last sand ridge and look upon a large green basin full of wildlife in the aid of 40 odd goats, two separate mobs of pigs and a large loan boar feeding on the open grassland before me.

    It was a pity I had all the odds against me with no approach available unless you were an ant, I had 30 odd kangaroos and 20 plus cattle as well, and a bad wind and time was not on my side. So I put it in memory bank to call upon this spot in the future and turned about face and started my way home but not before I zoomed my camera all the way in to take a pic of some goats, it really does not give it justice of how big the flat was.

    Making my way back to the ute I came across another mob of sows and some young that gave us both a fright when I dodged around some lignum and nearly stepped on the piglets, with a grunt they were off following mum into the thicker stuff for protection. It sure was a wonderful and rewarding day with a few new areas located and explored with a beautiful sunset to top it off.

    Making my way back in the dark I had to travel past another dam in my vehicle and once again I encountered lots of water in my headlights but alas it was not expected where I was so I was doing some frantic drifting and weaving to get myself out of trouble. Being that I was to leave early the next day I decided I would visit here the next day for a photo with some better light and if luck was on my side maybe a pig.

    Well luck was not on my side but damn I felt lucky and privileged to be in such a beautiful and majestic place. The sites and the sounds one sees and experiences when in the outback just bring us back time and time again. It’s not always about the thrill of the stalk or of the taking of an animal, just being with nature on its own is enough for me, the pleasure to have a small striated pardalote a small type of finch fly in a foot above your head to check you out while resting with no hint of danger or threat to the amazing and incredible defining moment of my hunting thus in the sight of two brolga hatchlings was a surreal time a shall not forget anytime soon. The delightful array of wildflowers blossoming as the morning’s sun brings warmth and comfort to your being, the harmonious buzz of the bumble bee bringing music to your ears, oh my how the list goes on and on and on.

    Last edited by xlr8scotty; 29th January 2019 at 11:54 AM.

  4. shanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Bundaberg QLD
    What's your large knife in the gear pic?
  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by shanks View Post
    What's your large knife in the gear pic?
    Its a knife i got from Wayne Anderson of trophy takers mate, it has an edge on the back of it to chop out pig jaws like an axe. Very nicely made.

  6. Aaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Stanthorpe, Qld
    Top read Scotty, I enjoyed the vid clips as well. Thanks for sharing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts