TUSX

Thread: Just imagine

Just imagine

Gday all, hope is all is well, first time ive been able to log on for ions so ill post a few stories up while I can. Wish the powers to be could get this S#!T fixed, all in all it cant be to hard?

Just Imagine.

Imagine youíve finally got some time off to go hunting and avoid the day to day grind of family and a working life. Youíve replaced the strings on your bow and tuned it up and have the sight dialed in sweet smacking nocks and cutting vanes when testing. You say good bye to the Mrs. and kids and head out to your favorite hunting block on a very long drive, all the way thinking of the big gnarly boars, bucks and huge billy goats youíre going to hunt.

Eager and keen you arrive and say hello to the owners and quickly set up camp and head down to the honey hole late in the afternoon where you know a big cagey boar resides. You gear up and get the wind in your face and start to put on your best sneak down the creek line to the dam where you know his going to be.

Weaving along a game pad to keep noise down you peer around a tree towards some tall reedy grass and spot some movement, the glass is instantly up to your face and you confirm itís the big brute the cockys been telling you about with ripped ears from the doggers and a great big boof head, he turns side on and the lip curl is pushing his top lip up real high and instantaneously the heart rate quickens.

His in the soft mud in the tall grass so you have plenty of cover and close the gap substantially with the good conditions for a sneak. Each step the excitement is growing until you feel like youíll explode with enthusiasm and exhilaration. Finally, youíre within range with the big fella feeding broadside, anticipating his movement as his head drops behind some reeds you draw back.

Your waiting for his front leg to step forward to open up the magic triangle for a classic heart shot low down in the chest of the big behemoth. Just like times standing still you cut the shot and watch in awe as the arrow darts out like a heat seeking missile on route to the intended target, you can already see his big pearly whites hanging high upon your wall at home.

In disbelief and incredulity, the boar takes a step back right at the vital moment for a morsel or crumb of whatever he was foraging for as your arrow smacks bang on into his humorous bone on his foreleg with minimal penetration. He lets out a grunt and turns looking for his tormentor while your arrow snaps at what is the most crucial and critical point where the broadhead meets the arrow. Imagine the disappointment and displeasure of such a sequence of events. Imagine that.

Now you have imagined that, it brings me the point of this story in saying that with any hunting setup the weakest point and maybe one of the most integral parts of your broadhead/arrow combination is where the broadhead meets the arrow. Its no use having the highest poundage bows and stiffest arrows on the planet if your broadhead/arrow components are not up the scratch and such scenarios as the one described will bring out any flaws and faults in your setup.

I was recently given a very unique chance at testing a new broadhead designed and made by Ray Prillaman of Razor-VPA Custom Shop called the CTR-punch line. It incorporates the design of the broadhead itself in conjunction with a footer that goes on the end of your arrow increasing the strength and giving you utmost confidence that your combination wonít let you down at the crucial point of the hunt.

The head itself is a 125-grain solid, yes solid cnc machined 2 bladed broadhead. Made from quality materials and to tolerances that only a cnc machine can give. The broadheads are a cut on contact design with a tanto tip for added strength. The blades are a 1 1/8th inch cut and are 1 3/16th long.

The ferrule has a larger diameter for two reasons giving it strength and to also coincide with the diameter of the CTR-punch footer giving you a streamlined plain from broadhead to footer down finally to the arrow.

I was also fortunate enough to test and get first blood in the 175-grain version of this on my first sambar, heres a few quick peeks at the photos of that hunt.

By having the ferrule run all the way to the front for unforgiving strength and with a larger diameter it increased the weight. So, Ray in wanting to make a 125gn solid which helps immensely in noise concealment added valleys to the blades and to the center line of the ferrule to get it down to 125 grains, the head is heat treated to 54 Rockwell making it robust with great strength and toughness. The material is second to none with a high-grade carbon steel for a strong, solid and durable broadhead that is easily sharpened and holds an edge.

The footers are also cnc machined and anodized and made to suit your arrow of choice. They simply slide over the end of your arrow before you screw in your broadhead. The tolerances are so great that I donít even glue them on, slide on and screw in the head and your good to go. So, letís get to some field testing as in testing I mean hunting.

I started out on a very early mornings drive out to one of my favorite hunting blocks for a quick 2-day cameo. It was a new moon so I was hoping to camp out under the stars instead of the shearers huts and get some nice photos in a far off paddock which I had ear marked as a nice location when doing some hunting reconnaissance on a previous trip.

It was a winters hunt so it was all spot and stalk and this far off location had some nice feeding flats near bye which are perfect for a few hogs to stay out feeding in the morning and come out on late in the afternoon. In the meantime, I went and checked some water holes to check for some sign. On my travels around the boundary I came across a rather large looking nanny that was either very heavily pregnant or had some type of tumor, either way it did not slow her down as she quickly vacated the area.

Continuing on I checked a water hole and found a few small pigs out feeding way out in the open. It was going to be very hard to get close so I just played the slowly moving statue trick and glacially moved into around 40 odd meters and waited. Just about to have a crack at one as they fed closer when a steaky beaked emu decided to come in and ruin the party spooking and taking the pigs away with it.

With that I progressed further and found a few goats having a midday stroll feeding as they went. Goats are off limits so with their current feeding direction which was along a wash out past me I decided to sit and wait and see how close they got to me. In the end they got to about 6 meters from me as I had a great wind and stayed in close to the shade of a small shrub.

They could count there selves very lucky that the new 125 grain solid did not find the vitals on one them as they fed past me undisturbed.

Not much was present at the water so I headed out to the back paddock as I had a ways to travel and wanted to find my camping spot and setup and wait for the afternoon that was slowly sneaking up on me. Where I setup I had a great vantage point to look over two big feeding flats so it suited just fine for the afternoon and would suit for the morning as well.

Nothing other then a few family mobs of pigs and some local fauna showed themselves so I headed back to camp to have cook a quick feed when needed and set up for some night shots of the stunning sunset and the stars.

The Hoyt primed and ready for the mornings hunt.

VPA prostaff, BONE SPLITTING PERFORMANCE.

LIVE THE HUNT
    It was now time for a quick feed to give time for the stars to shine bright and grace me with their presence and stellar.

A little bit of light painting under the stars.

There’s nothing as peaceful and serene as a night under the great milky way with warmth from a glowing fire and Hoyt bow by your side.

I slept like a baby atop of my roof rack tucked up in my swag all nice and cozy but I was determined to get out amongst the critters and feed one them some high-grade carbon for breakfast. So, I got up and geared up in some tusx camo and set about getting the job done on a big old boar or two.

I went and checked my first spot near a big dam that had a nice feeding flat by it nestled in amid some sandy hills and trees. I regularly see game here so was pretty confident in finding some so was disappointed when I neared the edge and surveyed my surroundings. But alas I then checked with some glass to my eye and spotted the ass end of a nice boar feeding on some green pick under a big shady tree.

I looked a little further and spotted what appeared to be two ginger sows nosing around close by the boar as well. I was lucky where I was as I had several trees I could line up between me and the hogs and slowly sneak in closer from where I was. It was my only avenue to get closer so I set about closing the gap.

First one tree, wait and glass and then another. The pigs were quite content staying where they were which was good as it gave me time to cross the few open spots between some trees and get to my last one which was only a short distance from the boar nestled in around a few others and a large fallen down one which the pigs were in and around.

I’m at the last tree and glacially navigate around it to be on the side in some shade which helps hide your outline. My only obstacle was the big fallen down tree as the sows with their eyes close to the ground behind it feeding and could possibly see my feet moving as I progressed closer to the boar.

And their he is firstly I see the tell-tale sign that his a boar, you know what I mean and his about 25 meters from me. With my arrow now on the string and bow arm up I sneak even closer. His quartering away from me at 19 meters and I slowly draw back the Hoyt carbon element and settle down into anchor. The pin hovers nicely over the zone and I cut the shot.

With a grunt he leaps forward after a complete pass thru. Straight away I can see great blood on his chest a he vacates the area towards the scrub line a short distance away. I take note where he enters the scrub line and see him stumble a bit just as he gets out of view. Knowing his not gone far I walk over to inspect my arrow and take up the trail.

Upon finding it and being that I’m testing a new designed broadhead I wipe away some great blood sign and flex test the arrow before checking the sharpness and as expected it’s still razor-sharp popping a few hairs off the back of my wrist. I’m just about to pop it back in my quiver when I hear a grunt and look up to see the two ginger sows returning to the feeding area.

I just shrug my shoulders and load up the exact same arrow on the Hoyt. I’m already in a prime position in the shade with the two sows getting closer and closer with each impending step. I ever so slowly squat down and then slowly draw my bow and put the pin on the lead sow. She’s getting closer and I no she’ll soon stop upon seeing the strange shape that was me and on que she’s does and instantly my shots away.

She was quartering on and giving me another great test for the new CTR punch 125. The arrow entered in beside the lower jaw line passing thru her vitals before exiting on the off short rib just hanging on by the fletches. She only ran in a big circle and fell down well within view. How sweet is that first a great big boar and then hardly moving more than 20 meters I get another with the exact same arrow.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWQqfHXAVgx/

And the sow in question that sure learned a lesson for returning.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV-6AOZg2OQ/

While getting photos and removing the jaw from the boar I took notice of another pig at the tank with a young one with her. I wanted to head to the tank anyway to check it out so moseyed along over and found them feeding down by the water.

I’m only 30 odd meters from the sow and slip and suddenly see the sow lift its head to chew some pick and I’m gob smacked that I see some tusks protruding from its jaw, WTF? Instantly I throw the binos up and check the rear end, yep it’s a sow, I check it side on, yep no pizzle, I check the jaw, yep tusks, yep it’s game on.

I’m already at 30 so sneak in closer using the dam bank as cover and some small shrubs. Looking on in bewilderment as there is no noticeable signs of it being a boar I draw back my bow. Loaded up with another super tough and accurate Razor-VPA 125 I cut loose for another pass thru. She or it lets out a small grunt and starts my way.

I stand my ground as the shot was spot on and it’s fatally hit and soon falls down only mere meters from me. I walk over and inspect the hog and sure enough it’s a sow alright with one great set of hooks. I’m over the moon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVt-NWpAqja/

I was contemplating not taking the jaw but being so unique I decided to rip the jaw out and boy I’m glad I did as they pulled like a freight train to go trophy class at 26 points neat and is one of the most even sets of tusks I have ever taken. Super happy.

Speaking of being super happy, I’m darn super impressed with how the new 125 grain solids have performed. They are undeniably tough, whisper quiet thru the air as only a solid broad head can be, but also because of their size they are deadly accurate where even the fastest bows will be able to shoot them. Quality materials with quality designs has no equal, as simple as that, just imagine.

Note: If you would love to get some of these great heads or footers contact Ray Prillaman at rayzor@att.net his a very easy-going fella and will help you out with whatever you require.

LIVE THE HUNT
    double post, enjoy.
    Last edited by xlr8scotty; 29th January 2019 at 12:09 PM.

LIVE THE HUNT

Just imagine

Nice Scotty thanks for posting hard to get on here sometimes. Love a collar and love a solid insert. I remember a few years back fellas cutting sections of aluminum arrows as footers.
    Cheers Bruce

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Just imagine

Great stuff Scotty, thanks for posting, makes the lunch breaks at work better.
    Agree with fixing the forum, it is beyond a joke now. Hurry up and fix it!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my TRT-LX2 using Tapatalk
    The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
    Proverbs 12:27

Just imagine

Yeah brothers, I can only access this on my phone with Tapatalk..sometimes! ...****s me to no end!

Another good story though brother

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Sitting back from your trophy to make it appear bigger only makes you look smaller!

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc - Life Member
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965
    Awesome write up Scotty, have not been able to log into the forum for awhile now, but good to see the stories you have posted mate.....
    UNBELIEVABLE