Apex Archery

Diy success, full trad kit complete.

So it's taken me years to build up the skills to complete a kit, not just any old crap but a really high performing traditional set up to rival any bought equipment. I was up until the early hours finishing the new wood shafts, woods have been a thorn in my side for years as I couldn't purchase or make a set I actually liked, shot them this morning and at 20 metres aced every shot. The fly so well like carbons, but still punch the target like Woods and were made to suit this particular bow.
    IMG_20190228_094010.jpg
    In the above pic is all the gear Ive decided to use as trad hunting kit, every single thing was made by these big ass "wreck it Ralph" hands.
    Bow: D shaped longbow with deflex limbs, made from acacia lieocalyx harvested from my 10 acre backyard, blackbutt burl laminated riser collected from a hunting property at Maleny, inlaid tree of life motif given to me by my daughter, buff horn tips from my old man.
    68" amo, 48# @ 28".
    Quiver: A fair bit of research of native American quivers went into this. Cobar goat hide, fur inside and the outside was traditionally smoked to achieve the buck skin colour (and still smells like bloody goat). It has heaps of loops and ties to take a canvas roll, hold pouches knives and other gear, also holds blunts on the outside for fast access. Can be worn in a variety of ways. Most importantly it's totally silent and arrows won't fall out, there's more loops on the inside to separate and strap arrows in.
    Bushcraft kit, sheath: the knife is the 9th stainless blade I've forged, the antler for the handle was from a good rusa I shot, it has a large waterproof dump pouch that unrolls, a big fat ferro rod, handle is from a red deer antler that crazydeer gave me. The tin has the usual fat wood and tinder, also has needle/thread, fishing gear, wire saw and snares.
    Messenger bag with angry bull pyrographed into it, there's a small carbon Skinner built into it and the hairy oak handle material came from sneaky, the steel from Ted Mitchell. It also holds collapsible bottle and water purifier, paracord etc.
    There's a reed style predator call made from red antler, custom finger tab and small pouch that holds glue and sharpening stone.
    The arrows: took me years to get a perfect set of woods, these are cedar, footed with Tassie Oak (bunnings). This was my first attempt at self nocks and I have to say they kick the chit out of the glue on plastic nocks.
    Fletching was courtesy of our 2 turkeys (Pete and Re-Pete) and the black fletches are from the local bush turkeys and were split and cut by hand.
    IMG_20190228_091009.jpg

Now just to get something decent on the ground and this journey will be complete.
    Cheers to all the forum members that have supported my work over the years, without that I know I would have spat the dummy years ago and given up.
    Thanks for looking, regards Rhino1.
    Last edited by Rhino1; 28th February 2019 at 01:32 PM.
    Awesome stuff Rhino as getting pretty close to the pinnacle of trad. Just need to put some animals on the deck.

Pete and Re-Pete are the best names I've heard for 2 animals period.

Matt
    Cheers Matt, fingers crossed this bow doesn't break on me first lol, I have a hunt booked at Milani coming up in around 8 weeks and just checked out a local horse farm this arvo with a "deer problem" yay, but will probably need to keep taking the compound just to get something on the ground first to show the owners first, but was good to be out again and found some pre rut fallow activity.

Awesome work as always mate! You sir, are a craftsman...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Sitting back from your trophy to make it appear bigger only makes you look smaller!

Public Relations Officer, Head Bowhunting Instructor & past "Supreme Commander"- Pacific Bowmen inc
    Game Hunters Association of Australia inc - Life Member
    ABA Bowhunting Instructor
    ADA qualified measurer
    Former Game Council R Licence Examiner

Assassin Automotive Solutions

We'll "take care" of your problems

Quarry Road, Murwillumbah , NSW. Ph: 0481 303965
    A huge amount of satisfaction to be gained by making and using your entire kit mate, bloody awesome work.

Bert
    ADA Member
    ADA Accredited Scorer

#70 Hoyt Nitrum Turbo
    #70 Bear Anarchy
    #50 Bear Super Kodiak recurve
    #45 Samick Leopard II recurve
    #60 Klaus Deluxe longbow

"If your not working to protect hunting then you are working to destroy it" FRED BEAR
    A huge amount of satisfaction to be gained by making and using your entire kit mate, bloody awesome work.

Bert
    ADA Member
    ADA Accredited Scorer

#70 Hoyt Nitrum Turbo
    #70 Bear Anarchy
    #50 Bear Super Kodiak recurve
    #45 Samick Leopard II recurve
    #60 Klaus Deluxe longbow

"If your not working to protect hunting then you are working to destroy it" FRED BEAR

Awesome stuff mate, can't wait to see an animal harvested with it.

Sent from my TRT-LX2 using Tapatalk
    The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious.
    Proverbs 12:27
    Thanks for the good words gentlemen, feeling pretty confident and still shooting well, pretty happy with the acacia as a self bow timber. I unstring it between shots and is holding weight well, I draw at 29" and measured it out to be a very comfortable 51# at my draw length.
    Beautifully done and a lot of work there! I've started 2 self bows and realise the amount of work they take to get fully finished.

I've got some Osage and red gum floating around if you want to try some different footings. Can probably work out something for an Osage stave if you're interested.....

Steve
    Good stuff rhino mate