Arrowhead Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bow?

New bow?

Gday,

Contemplating an upgrade at the moment however the research Iíve done so far has got me a bit concerned that the tuning associated with many of the higher end/flagship models might be beyond my abilities.. all this talk of yoke tuning, adding twists here, taking twists away there etc would make me think Iíd need a bow press too which I wasnít planning on getting...

My current bow, diamond SB-1, although not a high specíed item, was very easy to get shooting bullets holes and I was away without too many dramas..

Do all the new, high end bows need to be tuned using a press etc...

Thank in advance

Cheers

Mcgoo
    Yes and no, even if you decided to stick with the diamond, it's not a bad idea to get a portable press and be efficient with its use, even for things like swapping a peep or playing with string dampeners, older bows and newer bows no matter how cheap or expensive will have probs with cam lean etc as the string and cables wear in and then begin to wear out, it might seem daunting at first to do these things but it's all fairly simple and this day and age there is an instructional YouTube video to do just about anything. This year's bows, last year's bows and probably next year's bows generally aren't as special as the advertising and reviews would have you believe.
    If you checked your cams and ATA on bow you shoot now it could probably do with a few twists and tweaks here and there, the biggest thing in my view is to know your gear, know how it works. You will find a lot of ppl are just chasing perfection, or sometimes are blaming the bow for other issues like inconsistent form, not tuning broadheads etc, I sometimes shoot with two blokes with one who won't touch anything even if the peep was rotting off the other pulls his bow apart in the field and I'm somewhere in between with routinely stripping all the gear off and resetting everything from scratch and the truth is all 3 of us shoot well out to 50 metres.
    Also watch out for online reviews on new bows, there's ppl doing reviews on the first bow they've ever owned and some have only ever owned/ shot 2-3 other bows and are experts too, imho neither should be offering advice.
    What ever way you go with it the best advice is to know your gear, keep it maintained, know when it's not right and know how to tune and keep it tuned, don't rely on some 17 year old at the local shop to keep your gear tuned, that's just bat chit crazy.
    Good luck
    Rhino pretty much nailed it
    I bought a second hand press a few yrs back and have never regretted it, I can adjust timing, string twist ect with ease, and I even get a 6pac or a carton out of it here and there with mates needing some assistance. Its not very difficult to do at all.
    check out https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...loA8odB8WMo8no
    this series has all the info needed to build/tune a bow from start to finish, follow his steps and you'll be a tuning wizard in no time
    Nailed it Ryan, couldn't agree more.....So keep the bow you have, it sounds like its shooting fine, put the money for a new bow towards a press, Archery Supplies have a good one, (its a knock off of the LC Ezy Press but very well made, I have one) learn to use the press and you can maintain your current bow. Then when you want to upgrade the aspect of tuning a bow won't be so daunting for you and you can buy whatever bow you want with confidence knowing you can maintain it...cheers
    Last edited by Johnno; 26th April 2019 at 06:57 PM.
    2014 PSE DNA SP - 65#
    2015 PSE Full Throttle - 64#
    Martin Mamba Recurve - 50#
    Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th Anniversary #55
    Cheers for the replies.

Might keep this one going for a while then and look into the bow press option and get my head around fine tuning.

Once again thanks ��
    Well the search for a new bow might still be on the cards.. fletched a bunch of arrows yesterday and went out the back to give them a fly. Drew the bow back came to anchor and the limb pocket snapped whilst taking aim.. absolutely spewing because I baby this thing and look after all my gear.. I was hoping to give the bow to my young fella once I get a new one.. I’ve contacted the shop I bought it from so hopefully there’s some fix available..

Anyone else heard of limb pockets breaking? The bow is a diamond SB-1.. by no means a flagship or high end model but I’d expect it stay together and not self destruct in my hands!

New bow?

Hasn't been a prob with bowtech limbs in ages.
    Contact Diamond customer care. They were damn helpful for me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    -= The Matter is Void =-
    Took it back to the shop yesterday and mike at archery essentials is sorting it out for me.. even had a spare limb pocket in stock so should be sorted by the end of the week, as always mike has been super helpful and should have me shooting again in no time!!
    The other option is buy a single cam bow. I'll probably get howled down but I used to use a round piece of steel about the diameter of my pinky taped and padded. Put my feet on the riser, pull the string and put the rod in the cam and let it off slow. The rod rests on the limbs and you can change peep, twisting a yolk string or changing a string. For cable let off it was a little different but can be done in a similar way. I tuned and maintained by Switchback for years without a press. Draves Archery has a video on YouTube and there was an article in South Pacific Bowhunting mag a few years back by a fella called Robbie?
    Cheers Bruce

New bow?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    The other option is buy a single cam bow. I'll probably get howled down but I used to use a round piece of steel about the diameter of my pinky taped and padded. Put my feet on the riser, pull the string and put the rod in the cam and let it off slow. The rod rests on the limbs and you can change peep, twisting a yolk string or changing a string. For cable let off it was a little different but can be done in a similar way. I tuned and maintained by Switchback for years without a press. Draves Archery has a video on YouTube and there was an article in South Pacific Bowhunting mag a few years back by a fella called Robbie?
    Cheers Bruce
    I've got a pair of tape wrapped carbon rods that I have as backup in my pack for that.
    Draw and drop one in each cam.
    Since having new strings built I've had zero rotation tho.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    -= The Matter is Void =-
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast