TUSX
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That night we had a shower of rain which was unheard of for this time of year and place and I had to go and check my bags thoroughly to make sure Tommy Peloe didn’t smuggle his way in somehow, such is the case every time I encounter bad weather on a hunt, good old Tommy brings it and is not far away. Anyway, it turned the next few days upside down with the wind direction shifting about 150 degrees making it hard to use some of the permanent stands.

We persevered and tried one spot but the wind was no good and so I got Frans to call it in and we moved. Harold came out and we quickly set up a tree stand in a large camel thorn tree overlooking some water troughs. There was plenty of tracks about but the wind had the animals all tucked away for the day with us only seeing some small family mobs of warthogs and some kudu cows late in the afternoon. Still a great time was had.

Today was my 10th day of the hunt and I was heading over to a blind on the western side of the property that I had not yet been to. The wind direction still hadn’t changed but the blind set up here was still in a slightly favorable position. There was plenty of game with many springboks about with one real horny ram giving the girls hell chasing and grunting about them all morning, it was pretty call to witness.

Harold was out scoping out another location nearby to set up a blind with the current wind direction while I was back in the blind minding my own business taking in the sights and sounds when a nice red hartebeest bull casually walked straight past me at 6 meters. He came pretty much from near on downwind and surprised the hell out me and really made the ticker miss a few beats I can assure you.

He pulled up at about 15 meters broadside and looked about his surroundings. The gap between his horns bases was narrow and he was tipped out indicating that he was a shooter. I had been wanting to get one of these gnarly looking critters all trip and now was my chance. I ever so slowly set the video rolling and grabbed the Hoyt from down off the wall.

It was like it was slow motion as I steadied my bow arm and got back into anchor. Aiming straight up the front leg about a third of the way up. The pin held super steady for that split second and then the shot was away and so was he. He erupted like Winx out of the gate in the Caulfield Cup and plunged on thru the small dam trying to run on water.

Barley out of the water and missing steps from blood loss he stumbled just out of view and could be heard crashing down to the ground. Man, I was frothing big time and had to sit down and calm my nerves a little. I gave him his piece before I left the blind and made my way around to check him out. Each impending step I got a bit more excited until I finally knelt down beside him and admired his beauty and uniqueness.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmHKhBqHxSJ/

After some fitting photos I covered him up with some branches I grabbed from nearby and got back in the blind. The branches must have the did the job well because not long after a couple of cape vultures came circling in landed down by the water for a drink and a bath.

Not long after something in the bushveld spooked the vultures and one took off quite easily but left his mate behind flapping about frantically trying to take off but he was to heavy after taking on some water from his bath. He soon settled down from the fright and spread out his wings trying to dry off faster so he could continue on the scavenge for food.

Harold soon turned up and was quite impressed with the bull as was I. Another few quick photos and we got him into the bakkie and back to the sheds for skinning. We got a few extra items such as some scrim net and a quick bite to eat before heading out to the new blind site that had a good wind direction. We set up the hide and settled down for the afternoon overlooking a water trough at about 20 odd meters.

We had a few oryx come in and get a drink as well as another red hartebeest but this fella had a busted horn, it was pretty cool seeing such creatures up close and personal going about their business. Some blesbok which were on my wish list went to come in and got me excited as I seen them from a distance and watched them slowly make their closer only to change their minds when they seen a few cattle at the trough.

Waiting patiently and quietly taking in some sounds Harold softly whispers in his south African accent that a very big oryx bull was in sight and slowly making his way in. I dared not look as I could tell from Harold’s body language that he was a ripper and they don’t get big by being stupid. I just went thru my shot routine and what I needed to do if and when I may get a chance at the big fella.

He took his time as he was very wary and fidgety, it only got me more excited and the froth started to build up in anticipation. The palms got sweaty, my toes started to wiggle hidden within the confines of my shoes, can’t sit there and shake my leg like your cold, I had to really concentrate on the job at hand as the tension started to rise higher and higher.

I soon got the signal to get ready, the bull had circled around out of sight of us which allowed me get ready and get the video camera rolling. I managed to some great pre-roll of the bull as he to glacially came into view. Once I seen him, I knew to straight away he was a shooter, he was still very finnicky and sniffed around and moved towards the water and would step away again.

The pulse rate was quickening as each impending second ticked by. Pins and needles started in the tips of my fingers as I must have sub-consciously gripped my bow. A few deep breaths and the words anchor, aim, release echoed about within my brain triggering my responses and what was about to happen.

Oh, know he backs away again will he walk away this time, will he offer me shot, then all is calm as he stops broadside looking straight ahead. I set the cams in motion as I draw hidden from view within the blind. I’ve previously moved all debris away from my shooting spot. I’m in anchor as I ever so slowly ease out into the shooting lane ready to send down a VPA penetrator.

Straight away and from thousands of years of evolution at being attuned to danger and threats from all manor of wild animals that call Africa home this big bull turned his head and locked onto me in an instant. I aim low directly at the heart having studied their anatomy well and I cut the shot. My arrow zero’s in on point and takes out the bottom of his heart. He turns on a dime and takes off in a gallop only to stop some 50 meters later and looses consciousness and falls down, it was one hell of an experience from start to finish.

My arrow after a pass thru on my big bull with his final resting place seen in the back ground.

Choose the right gear for the job.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmZoQOyBT5B/

One of my most favorite pictures taken in my hunting career thus.

What a day with two great bulls of different species, I was over the moon and so happy. We still had time for more hunting but I was content for the days efforts so we loaded up the bull and went back to camp. Once back I unloaded my gear in my room and went straight to the bar as any decent Aussie bloke would and grabbed a few beers. In the meantime, we got a call from David saying that Rick had got a blesbok and needed a hand. So, as you do, I grabbed a few more roadies and we headed out to lend a hand with me being the chief photographer.

VPA prostaff, BONE SPLITTING PERFORMANCE.

LIVE THE HUNT
    That night we had another shower of rain which put a holt to some of the hunting as the weather was going thru a change and did not want to blow from one direction on the compass it wanted to blow from all of them and it did, we tried a few different stands and locations over the next day or so but no game was taken just some great times and laughs along the way and few pictures.

They sure can motor these things.

Finally, the wind and weather had got back to normal and I was with Frans out at jackals hide for the day, I still had a few critters on my list to chase including Zebra, black wildebeest, kudu, blesbok and another oryx for a wall skin. No Zebra were seen as they are notoriously hard to get with a bow and a few black wildebeest were seen but were only females and a young bull that would mature into a great head in another couple of years.

We still seen plenty of oryx with me able to get some nice photos, soon enough one came in wary just as they all do in Africa, this one came in head first and did not offer me a shot the entire time he was there, he was a good representative at around the mid-30s in size and would suit the bill just fine, I just needed the right shot angle, even when he finished drinking he was rear on to me but was watching some springbok in the distance.

Soon enough he turned quartering away at about 33 meters and I had the bow ready in a flash and an Easton axis primed to fly. Once again in envisioned my exit and held the pin firm on my entry and released the deadly Rayzor-vpa on its mission striking home as intended. This bull was the Usain Bolt of oryx bulls and sure did bolt and motor ahead at full speed in no time but did not make it too far after the ill effects of the razor sharp broadhead.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmUK__2hcCA/

The next day was our 14th day of hunting and was still just as ready and willing as the first day. This morning I was with Harold out at the blind where we had got my big oryx bull. We had seen over the last few days many zebras and blesbok in the area so were pretty optimistic that we would get a chance at some game.

Soon enough a nice blesbok came in for a drink. He to came in at such an angle that I did not get a shot while he was at the trough. He had his fill and stepped away several meters to survey his surroundings and work out his next move. Already with an arrow on the string and video rolling the ticker started beating as a shot got closer to coming into fruition.

Finally, a shot angle opened up and the Hoyts limbs rolled over, the pin was super steady and, on the target, when I clipped off the shot but alas the blesbok took a step forward at the crucial moment and I hit him further back then anticipated. Still pretty crook he slowly moved off out of sight and Harold suggested to give him some time and I certainly agreed.

After what seemed an eternity, we checked the arrow which did have some signs of blood, possibly liver or kidney. We tracked him north about 250 meters throughout the many tracks and found where he had bedded down and lost some blood. It did not look good and I was truly disappointed and heart broken at such an outcome. Harold decided we would head back and grab Frans and David to come help track him and grab a rifle just in case.

David was out with Rick so it was Frans only and another young hand called Adem who worked for Harold. Frans followed the tracks from the start and found as we did where he bedded down. Harold and the Adam skirted north during this in the original direction the blesbok had headed, meanwhile Frans from following the original tracks headed East from he was bedded and I followed. How he found tracks and spoor I’ll never know they truly are remarkable and extraordinary.

We followed the new tracks for about another 350 meters until there was no sign left to follow. I then asked Frans if he was certain it was my bull and assured me it was. Righto, my mind was made up so I said to him to persevere and that I would head out on an arc in the direction that we believed the bull was traveling.

It was semi open here with a scattering of thorny bushes and a few trees here and there with spinifex grass up to your knees waving around in the wind. I was about another 350 meters into my mission scanning the horizon as I went when I spotted what I thought was the bull bedded down. I signaled Frans and starter slowly circling around to get the wind better and mask my approach.

Frans caught up and I pointed him out and we started putting on a sneak. At about 50 meters from him with his head low Frans stayed put while I progressed in slowly keeping behind some cover and closed the distance into about 20 meters where I put another arrow into the vitals. He did not even get up and it was such a relief to find him and secure him.

After many thanks to Frans and Adem for there help we headed back to camp as it was lunch time after all. I grabbed a few drinks for the boys and went over and watched Frans go about skinning the bull. Not only is he a masterful tracker but his capeing skills need to be seen to be believed. I told him that I still believed my second arrow was in him and to be careful. He said that it had passed thru as there was 4 wounds but I was sure it hadn’t as I could not find it and believed it has exited but the bull then stretched out after the second shot.

Any way Frans was caping the head and Adem went to prep the bull and sure enough my arrow was there. We then had a good laugh as I said to Frans that I should be the chief tracker as I had found the bull and tracked my arrow, it was a great moment out in the Kalahari with some locals sharing some laughs and ale or two.

It was the last afternoon and I was to be with Nick another PH who works for Harold when his busy and we set out for pop up blind at a spot where some zebra and black wildebeest had been seen regular. All was quiet for most of the afternoon until everything happened to come in at once. Some red hartebeest were behinds us fighting and carrying on over a female while we had several oryx come in with one really exceptional cow, some wildebeest came in but they wrong species as they were blue and several Kudu including a bull.

Man, when he said the kudu bull was coming in the froth factor detonated and exploded and all manner of thoughts mixed in with adrenalin swept thru me. But it all came crashing down when Nick said he was only young and around that 45-46-inch mark. I hit the ground with a thud you would have felt back home in Australia.

He would be a great trophy in a few years so I just sat back and enjoyed the show of the many animals around me. The Kudu truthfully are regal and majestic in all of their beauty and it was a highlight at the end of my trip to be within range of one of these magnificent beasts that call Africa home. It truly is where dreams are made.

#livethehunt

Scotts gear of choice.

Bow: Hoyt Carbon Spyder 80# @27”.
    Arrows: Easton axis 260’s @27.5” with 4” killer vanes.
    Sight: Custom Option 6 sight in hard mount
    Rest: QAD MXT rest, cobra wrist release and Tactacam 4.0 video stabilizer.
    Broad head: Both VPA penetrator and rayzor-VPA 175Gn from with the CTR Punch footer cap.

If you plan on an overseas trip or one at home in Australia and want the best in the business in regards to getting your highly sort after trophy home in a very timely manner and up on your wall at home to admire forever and a day then don’t hesitate to call Danny Vanbrugh Quarantine Approved Arrangement on 0423 890 542 or email at dannyvanbrugh@yahoo.com or find him on facebook or Instagram.

For an African adventure hunt and a great time with many opportunities at many species then contact Harold and Liezel Jacobsz at www.osombahe-nord.com/ or find them on face book and Instagram
    VPA prostaff, BONE SPLITTING PERFORMANCE.

LIVE THE HUNT
    Geez mate, must have been unreal.
    Took me a few goes to get thru it,
    Luck your mates with a taxidermist hey!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12