Ozcut Broadheads

Garmin InReach - mini

Hi guys. I am pondering getting one of the Garmin InReach. Probably the mini. I have a mate in the states that loves his as communication can be had with his wife and kids at all times.
    Does anyone over here use them or know of people that use them? I hunt solo a lot and often in areas with little to no phone signal. Something like this would be handy to keep in touch. I believe that messages can be sent as you go, not pre written.....? Does anyone have experience with these that can shed any pros/cons or other ????
    Cheers in advance.
    Don't make excuses, Live life to the fullest

Hunt hard and often...

Prime Logic @ 81#
    Hoyt Pro Defiant @ 73#
    Easton N-Fused & Full Metal Jacket
    Helix Broadheads
    I use a spot 3, not the garmin in-reach which does have some advantages over the Spot. Be aware that the SOS goes via a third party (as it does with the spot). Adam Greetree had a major incident recently in NZ where he sent an SOS and it didnt get through - google it, it's worth knowing about......
    If you don't do it, you won't do it, and if at first you don't succeed, it's more than likely because you're crap at it.
    Have watched a few reviews etc. Sorting out the iridium sat plan is probably the thing to know about. You see a few of the larger ones for sale by people who didn't know they needed a sat access subscription to view maps. Blue tooth from your phone or preset messages. As mentioned above not sure I would trade in my PLB but gotta love that you can sms home for sure to let the wife know how you're going. And you can use it anywhere in the world. Bought one recently just waiting for it to arrive.
    Cheers Bruce
    Thanks fellas. I’ve got one of those Spot things and I friggin hate it. When it does send it sometimes will send to the wrong phone....? It worked pretty good to start with but then no good at all. I leave it at home now. I will definitely look into that GreenTree thing. I’m assuming he couldn’t upload a hashtag image for the followers...., or couldn’t see his like counter......
    Anyway. Thanks again guys. Cheers
    Don't make excuses, Live life to the fullest

Hunt hard and often...

Prime Logic @ 81#
    Hoyt Pro Defiant @ 73#
    Easton N-Fused & Full Metal Jacket
    Helix Broadheads
    ^^pretty much.

A mate has the older Delorme inreach. It works really well. We used it in NZ and the messages went in and out no problem and the weather reports were very accurate.
    I plan to get a mini sometime but I have delayed buying one hoping that something better comes along which is easier to type a text with as a stand alone unit without needing to be paired with a phone. But with the recent release of the garmin 66i (fully functional GPS with inreach capability) it seems they are going down the route of everything rolled into one unit and still needing to pair it with a phone. The US market seems to demand this so they can use apps like onX for boundary mapping.

It looks like I will have to put up with the cumbersome texting of the mini since I have no intention of relying on a third party device to use a device. (Pairing it with a phone) just something else to carry, manage batteries for and risk of it not working properly which phones and computers seems to do at random. Look no further than this forum.
    Last edited by clinton miller; 29th July 2019 at 07:36 AM.
    The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

Border Black Douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
    brigalow selfbow with rawhide string
    Beware of relying on the inreach as your only device with PLB capability. You need to be very astute with battery management least you need the SOS function only to be shocked that the battery is flat because you were using it too much. A major pitfall I see in the new 66i.
    The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

Border Black Douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
    brigalow selfbow with rawhide string