Arrowhead Magazine

Thread: Kids trad bow

Kids trad bow

Just wondering what might be out there, my sons only 8 but looking for a bow for him, he has a little fibreglass bow but looking to upgrade.

Cheers Bodie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ***Post removed***
    Last edited by Rhino1; 27th September 2019 at 07:49 AM.
    Hey Bodie
    Mike at archery essentials in WA has a Touchwood Fenex youth longbow that may do the job?
    They come in 20 # and sell for $200 .
    I'm also looking at one for my young boy who is 9 and can't find anything else so will be interested to hear any other options .
    Cheers Alex
    Last edited by Acery; 26th September 2019 at 08:31 AM.

Kids trad bow

Hi Bodie, are you thinking longbow or recurve?
    Cheers Bruce

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Kids trad bow

Not really fussed, he’s got the usual red fibreglass bow and another older fibreglass bow that I had as a kid,
    but he’s at that stage where watching your arrows bounce out of the target after aiming 3 feet above the target sort of put a dampener on the whole thing.

He’s hinting towards a compound but I won’t have that sort of talk in my house😂
    Probably like the idea of a recurve as can get heavier limbs as he grows, but not really a deal breaker

Kids trad bow

Comes down to cash as well. A take down even with the option to change out limbs is getting up there in price. A Bear Cub looks like a cool bit of kit. Not sure if they even still make em but I remember as a kid those static limb fibreglass bows started at 10lbs for little kids and could be found up to 50lbs and the smaller ones must have been about 48 inches. Those bows are a tough bit of gear that cop some treatment from boys having fun and not so much concern about looking after a laminated timber bow.

Been considering similar stuff prematurely for my little bloke (4yo). He shoots a 10lb fibreglass long bow, I have a couple of 25lb fibreglass recurves. I'm not sure I'm going to do any better in my case in the short term. He digs in the dirt with the tips, he's dry fired it, whacked his sister, the dogs, stands on the string and pulls the riser like he's pretending to use a stringer...... and it comes back for more shooting every Sunday at the club

Kids trad bow

https://www.thelongbowshop.com/collections/kids-bows

Kids trad bow

I ended up getting a little takedown recurve from abbey archery, it’s got the ilf limbs so should be able to swap them out as he grows, we will see how it goes.
    Thanks for everyone’s suggestions