Ozcut Broadheads

Tree stands for deer

Well I finally think that I've developed enough patience to sit in a tree stand for a while.

I have a local property with some good deer numbers, however the hunting is pretty challenging as the deers movements are often into the prevailing wind so getting in front of them can be really difficult. I think a tree stand could be a good solution for this and im curious if anyone has any advice or experience.

Happy to look at either bought or home made, used to work as a rock climbing guide so have a fair amount of safety gear.

Cheers

Matt

Tree stands for deer

Hi Matt, I've got limited access to a 50 acre property close ish to home through a mate who can be hard to nail down for a hunt, we've put a ladder stand up with room enough for 2 people. We put a mineral block out to bring deer to the spot just off a pad they use. It certainly worked for a local poacher, we found a butchered frame there this week. If you can work it so you go to your stand from a direction deer don't come from that can keep the direction of deer travel undisturbed, not always possible. Set your stand up and give yourself the best options for shooting based on prevailing winds eg) if deer are mostly traveling to beds from NE of your spot and prevailing winds are from the South or sometimes from West your stand or tree saddle as a climber might get set up on the South Western side. Hope that makes sense. Check out tree saddles.
    Cheers Bruce

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Brooster; 15th October 2019 at 07:35 PM.
    If your looking for diy ideas, I knocked this up last Sunday morning. Cost me nothing and spent an hour on it so far, going to add a fold out step I can stand on, plus a bar or strap about waist height so I can lean right out to take a shot. I can easily carry this and gets me up to 4m off the ground.
    Attachment 28146

Tree stands for deer

https://www.traditionaloutdoors.com/2019/08/04/to72/

Podcast about using tree saddles

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Awesome, many thanks fellas