Arrowhead Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree saddles

Tree saddles

Anyone here use a tree saddle as a tree stand hunting option? It appeals to me for it's light weight and portability.

I'm going to take the plunge and get myself setup. I'm curious to hear about other setups.

I plan on buying a rock climbing harness and making a DIY saddle for sitting in once in position in the tree, plus a DIY platform.
    I will access the tree by throwing a throw bag with line attached then using that line to pull the climbing rope into the tree. Then ascend and descend using 2 prusik loops. The climbing harness will remain attached to the climbing rope and I will probably use another tether for the saddle, though you could attach both the harness and saddle to the same line.

Anyone else a saddle hunter?
    The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

Border Black Douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
    brigalow selfbow with rawhide string
    I'm an ex rock climber and don't know if your idea about using a rock climbing harness will work that well. They are really only for stopping your fall but not for sitting in for long periods of time as your legs go numb
    Better to have regrets than regretting not having done it
    That's what the saddle is for. Climb using the harness and stay connected via the harness at all times but when setup in position you sit in the saddle.
    The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

I think it will be fine Clinton. I probably wouldn't use prussiks, (but that is because I have ascenders and prussiks are hard work....very cheap though compared to alternatives). I think the biggest issue will be the saddle and bridge setup. This might be trial and error and/or very closely copying whats on the market. I feel there could be a lot of tweaking involved to ensure that the saddle is comfortable and equally important gives you the flexibility of movement that saddles seem to provide.

I've also been looking pretty closely at saddles and tree stands recently, leaning towards saddles but would need to save quite a few pennies or find someone that is heading to the US. I'd love to hear how you go with the DIY approach as I already have all the climbing gear...ect

Matt
    Also worth being aware that harnesses or straps that cut off circulation can cause pretty significant issues (over periods of time) when pressure is released. Toxins flooding the organs. Similar to leaving a tourniquet on for too long without releasing it.
    I do industrial work at height so I'm aware of the dangers of suspension trauma.
    I have been using the 2 prusik method to acsend a rope for a few years now to access a climbing stand that I have left setup and I like it for it's simplicity. No need for more bulk, weight and expense of mechanical ascenders. I recently discovered the klemhiest hitch as an alternative to the prusik. It releases easier after loading allowing easier advancement up the rope.
    I plan to send some time at the sewing machine soon to make a saddle. Think I'll go with a ring of steps as a platform too.

Hey clint, Brooster put me on to the tree saddle idea and I bought a second hand one. I had the same idea as you to use prusiks to climb and have been practicing at home and honestly it's a slow, bitch of a way to climb a tree, for myself I just can't see it being practical for me to get up to height, strap the platform on, then haul my gear up somehow, then expect to be able to shoot, I want to try those extendable ladder things or I think maybe have several semi permanent tree sites set up with screw in steps. I'm still practicing climbing with ropes, just not getting much time atm to dedicate to it. Thought it was going to be easier and simpler
    Got the ring of steps made today and started developing a pattern for the saddle. I'll order the rope and harness when i'm satisfied the saddle is what I want and I'm confident that I want to go ahead with the whole idea.

What saddle did you get rhino?

It's a "trophy line" brand saddle, the previous owner permanently attached two pouches to it, maybe I will put the release aid in one and range in the other, still working out the logistics of do I just put my pack at the tree base and risk scenting the area below me. Still I can't see myself taking a deer from it yet. Reckon with a bit more practice I will have it sussed
    Got the system all setup. I would post pics of the whole system if I knew how to on my phone because the forum doesn't work on my PC.

The saddle is really comfy and I'm really happy with the whole system. Total weight for the entire system including climbing method is 5kg. That's harness, saddle, 20m of 11mm rope, tether, bridge and ring of steps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast