TUSX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whistling Up Sambar Deer?

Well sort of. In Errol Mason's Book, Secrets of the Sambar, (and latest magazine, issue 3) their is a bit about using a whistle to get bedded deer to stand up and reveal their position.

Errol would glass across a face, if after a while he didn't see any movement, he would as a last resort give three long load blasts on his Fox 40 Sonik Blast CMG whistle. Sometimes a bedded deer would stand up. Errol reckons the Sambar are confused, but not highly alert. (Well no more than normal)

I have also heard of people using a dog whistle. (I suspect a Scotch Predator call might be a bit too aggressive) I wonder how a tin, penny or tenterfield whistle would go?

Has any one tried a fox whistle for deer?

Any results?
    Last edited by Craig; 28th November 2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: grammar
    We have whistled from a ridge down into a valley where we thought the deer were and their heads flung up like they were on springs. That was just using fingers. Problem is they knew exactly where the sound came from. Maybe if you got one person to whistle and the other is ready to stalk in from a different location. This is with Rusa though, not sure about Sambar but I imagine any strange sound is going to make deer stand up to investigate a possible threat.

Cheers
    Bear Venue @ 67#
    FullPoint Taipan arrows - 185grn Zwickey Broadheads - Howie's Varmint Busters

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." -Fred Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    We have whistled from a ridge down into a valley where we thought the deer were and their heads flung up like they were on springs. That was just using fingers. Problem is they knew exactly where the sound came from. Maybe if you got one person to whistle and the other is ready to stalk in from a different location. This is with Rusa though, not sure about Sambar but I imagine any strange sound is going to make deer stand up to investigate a possible threat.
    Cheers
    Thanks Ryan, what type of whistle did you use?
    Fingers mate, hahaha
    Can't see why a fox whistle would not work. So long as it isn't too loud.
    Bear Venue @ 67#
    FullPoint Taipan arrows - 185grn Zwickey Broadheads - Howie's Varmint Busters

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." -Fred Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Fingers mate, hahaha
    Can't see why a fox whistle would not work. So long as it isn't too loud.
    Sorry, you did say fingers. I think as a last resort it might be okay.
    I had a young fallow buck come into around 60 metres when i was whistling foxes. He hung around for a couple of minutes then slowly slipped out the way he came in.
    There are old reports of old time Sambar hunters being able to call Sambar up, personally I have never seen it or know of anyone who can.
    Once a Sambar hears a noise that is not a natural one they are on alert instantly and more often than not they will zero right in on the source. I was watching 8 deer the other week and a deer Honked deeper down in the gully, the deer I was watching were instantly nervous and moved into cover straight away only to re-emerge 10 minutes later but were unsettled.

When I can I will try out a few different noises and video the responses and we can see what happens.
    Interesting gents, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Dowsett View Post
    I had a young fallow buck come into around 60 metres when i was whistling foxes. He hung around for a couple of minutes then slowly slipped out the way he came in.
    Neal did the young buck slowly come in cautiously or boldly?

I ended up buying the Fox 40, Sonik Blast CMG whistle, (Good to have an emergency whistle, in case I break my legs out bush) It just sounds like a high pitched whistle.

I might, if after a while glassing a gully and see no movement, try a fox whistle. If no movement, then perhaps try the Sonik Blast CMG whistle.

Would be great Paul to video them and see their response.
    Hi Craig,

a guy I hunt with used a standard button fox whistle earlier this year and had a sambar hind and large calf come into him. He was whistling down into a thick, steep gully where we usually find deer to see what would happen.They stayed in the thick stuff but he could hear them moving up towards him. They had his location pinned but they got close enough that he could make them out. They were very alert and worked around him until they cut his wind. They then crashed back down the gully.

Not sure whether it would work all the time or only in special circumstances, but they certainly came to the whistle on that occasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Interesting gents, thanks.

Neal did the young buck slowly come in cautiously or boldly?

I ended up buying the Fox 40, Sonik Blast CMG whistle, (Good to have an emergency whistle, in case I break my legs out bush) It just sounds like a high pitched whistle.

I might, if after a while glassing a gully and see no movement, try a fox whistle. If no movement, then perhaps try the Sonik Blast CMG whistle.

Would be great Paul to video them and see their response.
    Craig, i guess you could say he slowly came in like a cagey old fox, wouldn't come in past that 50, 60 metre mark and then just slipped out the back door in no real rush.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast