Aussie Hunting Adventures TV
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do I tune these arrows for my destroyer 350?

Hi,
    I ordered a batch of Easton Powerflight 300 spine, cut to 30"

these come with CB inserts and nocks, I'm using blazer vanes, but not sure what sort of field tip to use.

the Bowtech Destroyer 350 is set to about 65lb (estimating by the locking nuts being about halfway down those grooves in the riser, the limbs are torqued down about half the maximum they can go, not sure if this is a correct way to estimate though, I don't have a measuring tool)
    the draw length is 29"

Assuming it's about 65lb, and taking into account the 300 spine of the Easton powerflights, the CB inserts, 2" blazer vanes, and nocks, (and the 30" shaft length) how do I select a field tip?

I bought some crappy EZ pull tips (they seem stainless or something, and were cheap) but they don't fit flush, there's a gap around the insert, and that probably can't be good.

they're the first lot I've bought, I plan to get another dozen.
    I'd prefer pointy field tips to the ez pull ones, and I'd like them to fit flush with the insert and the shaft.
    i'd like to be able to change to broadheads using the same arrows if possible.
    I can increase the poundage, what it's set to at the moment is comfortable, but setting it heavier would be no problem if that needs to happen.

any pointers on what sort of field tips to get (based on the weight of these arrows?) and any additional info on how to tune these arrows would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ed
    Last edited by Gear; 22nd January 2013 at 08:42 PM.
    First up you tune the bow to the arrow with compounds. Those arrows will handle quite a bit of weight on the front, what you need to do is work out what broadheads you plan to use then get field points the same weight. If you tune your bow to the field points it should shoot broadheads close to the same. It depends on what you plan to hunt but 125gr is a popular weight for broadheads.
    so all I need to do is choose a 125 grain field point?

in terms of sizing, how do I ensure that the field point fits flush?

I got some crappy ones that had a noticeable gap between the diameter of the point (where it met the arrow), and outer diameter the insert/arrow. what size field tip should I choose for these arrows to make sure there is no gap and it's a flush fit between field tip and arrow?
    Bowtech Destroyer 350 (black) 60# to 70# limbs
    QAD dropaway rest HD
    trophy ridge sight, 5 pin
    octane stabiliser
    octane bantam quiver
    29" draw, d loop

approx 65lb
    A standard 5/16" field tip will suit Your Powerflights.
    thanks for the info!

also, what would be the lightest field point I could use with these particular arrows, without causing damage to the destroyer 350?

I don't know the specs off hand, or have any scales. does anyone know the inserts etc well enough to estimate?
    Last edited by Gear; 23rd January 2013 at 01:42 AM.
    QAD dropaway rest HD
    octane stabiliser
    octane bantam quiver
    29" draw, d loop

approx 65lb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gear View Post
    thanks for the info!

also, what would be the lightest field point I could use with these particular arrows, without causing damage to the destroyer 350?

I don't know the specs off hand, or have any scales. does anyone know the inserts etc well enough to estimate?
    what you need to do is work out what broadheads you plan to use then get field points the same weight.
    Agree with Magilla, not sure why you'd want the lightest possible field tip either especially on a 65lb bow, my bow is set at 65lb and I'm using 125gr field tips as I have 130gr widowmaker broadheads so will be pretty easy to tune for them and it's 12% foc on the arrows I'm using which should be good for just about everything from rabbits to pigs on a 65lb bow, just depends on what you intend to hunt, My suggestion is research I'm really new to it all as well but found info on foc (flight of center),arrow flight,arrow spine, arrow penetration/kinetic energy etc a big help, there's lots of info on here and YouTube which got me pointed in the right direction as well as your local archery shop.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gear View Post
    thanks for the info!

You could go much lighter with your field points without getting to 5gr per pound of draw weight which is the lightest arrow you should shoot but there is nothing to gain from it except a small increase in arrow speed. Most benefits are with going heavier rather than lighter with your heads. Top indoor target shooters use up to 300gr heads on their arrows to help stabilize their arrows quicker and for bowhunting you will get better penetration with a heavier head. If you practice with a lighter head than your broadheads you will have to re sight your bow before you go hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.S View Post
    Agree with Magilla, not sure why you'd want the lightest possible field tip either especially on a 65lb bow, my bow is set at 65lb and I'm using 125gr field tips as I have 130gr widowmaker broadheads so will be pretty easy to tune for them and it's 12% foc on the arrows I'm using which should be good for just about everything from rabbits to pigs on a 65lb bow, just depends on what you intend to hunt, My suggestion is research I'm really new to it all as well but found info on foc (flight of center),arrow flight,arrow spine, arrow penetration/kinetic energy etc a big help, there's lots of info on here and YouTube which got me pointed in the right direction as well as your local archery shop.....
    FOC stands for front of centre.
    right now I'm hunting targets, and I'd prefer to be a mass murderer of the centre of targets before I hunt anything else.

the broadheads I have weigh barely anything, they're basically an alloy spike with 3 razorblades.

I just meant the lightest field point that these arrows could use while flying properly. or more like the correct field point, instead of just picking 125 grain and hoping for the best.. I will get some scales but at the moment I have to estimate.

the 300 spine is 9.5 grains per inch (precut to 30), it'll have cb insert, nock, and blazer vanes, I'm not sure how to pick the weight of the field point for straightest/best flight before I actually order and pay for a whole lot of them. (and I don't want to buy the wrong ones) or how to determine the FOC without an actual point in the arrow

can this be calculated? or estimated?

also is 5/16" the exact diameter of the powerflight/CB insert? sorry to ask the same question again, but I don't want it to be larger or smaller than the arrow, having them perfectly flush is really important before I order any field points.

(also, the nearest bow shop is very far away, and a nightmare by train, otherwise I'd be in there testing stuff out in person and asking them to look at my gear and give some pointers in person)

thanks for the information so far!

(sorry, several more replies came up before I finished typing this)
    Last edited by Gear; 23rd January 2013 at 06:49 AM.
    QAD dropaway rest HD
    octane stabiliser
    octane bantam quiver
    29" draw, d loop

approx 65lb
    Powerflights are at the lower end in quality when it comes to carbon arrows and are marketed as a cheap hunting arrow. If your bow is tuned correctly you should notice no difference in shooting field points down to 75gr but there is no benefit from doing so except a slightly higher POI. I shoot 100gr on my target arrows but only because I shoot 3D and am looking for flatter trajectory. If your bow is even slightly out of tune or your form not great you will do better with a bit more weight up front. As already advised 5/16 is the listed size points for 300 spine Powerflights.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast