Ozcut Broadheads
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Knife - Gerber Gator semi serrated folding knife
    http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-4141...pr_product_top

Wanted something smaller than my then- current knife (an Ontario knife company survival/ pilots knife), so invested in this one... its a simple folder with a semi serrated blade and a drop point. Its got a non-slip gator-grip handle and its positive in the hand even when wet or bloody.

Its blade is very versatile and seems to hold an edge well given the abuse this blade cops. One of the bonuses for me is its size, its quite a large folder, so given my clunky paws its size suits me well. The pouch is massively oversized for the knife, so it tends to stay at home in the cupboard and the knife goes in the pocket on the upper left sleeve of the cams.

In all, a cheap, reliable knife that i would recommend.

Knife - Gerber LMF II
    http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-0146...s=gerber+lmfii

Great knife, but overkill for what i wanted it for. I'm doing more distance these days and subsequently tend to count grams more. this is a great knife but very heavy. Its industrial, some might say. recently sold this to another forum member to fund another blade, but the blade design and grip was great. It didnt hold its edge as well as i would have liked, though with the inbuilt sharpener in the scabbard it was never a problem. If you are after a post apocolypse zombie slaying knife, this is the blade for you!

Recommended to those with loads of money, great toy factor, but not the best suited blade to my purposes.
    Alan Specketer

I am currently experiencing life at a rate of several WTF's a minute
    EPIRB - GME MT410GPS
    http://www.amazon.com/GME-AccuSat-40...rds=gme+mt410g

The one piece of kit that i hope i never have to use. I went for this one as it was one of few GPS equipped PLB's at the time of purchase and was considerably cheaper than the ACR beacons at the time. Its small, compact, has an 8 year battery life and inbuilt strobe. More importantly to me, its simple to use (so if i go down, someone else can set it off without needing a masters in engineering to do so.

These days its not the smallest, nor the lightest GPS equipped PLB on the market, but for $350 in sale from BCF i'm not arguing - its still cheap insurance.
    Alan Specketer

knife - Benchmade Nimravus 140BK

Well, decided to slay a few grams from the kit and sold off the Gerber LMF II knife a couple of months ago and ordered myself a new Benchmade Nimravus. Had done a bit of research on a replacement blade and was considering a custom knife made by one of the local boys, but managed to get two of the Benchmades at decent prices, the other being the Benchmade nimravus Cub II. I couldnt decide which i wanted so ordered both over, opted for the slightly bigger Nimravus and the Cub is now residing with my best mate.

Two things that struck me when i opened the box... this knife is light compared to the LMF II, and its crazy sharp from the box. Tested it with my thumb and took half the fingerprint off, so decided to test it on some arm hair and am now sporting a 3" hair free strip up the left arm...

the knife is a more minimalist design, the blade carries a full length tang (i think thats the term! the blade extends throught to become the handle) with composite material mounted to give a non-slip grip. It fits nicely in the hand and promotes flexibility in movement, and is nowhere near as cumbersome as its predecessor.

The sheath is a simple affair, cordura over a composite scabbard. Doesnt get much simpler, but its functional, offers many mounting options and its light.

Doing some cull work on a property last week, dropped some hogs with the .308 and gave the blade a test run boning out a couple of sows. The knife was sure in the hand despite being bloodied, cut through everything in its path very easily and maintained a shaving sharp edge after two sows and a few autopsies on boars to check bullet expansion.

Whilst its not the cheapest knife on the shelf, i think this is one of those instances where you pay for what you get. the finish is cerakote black which is durable and protects the blade well, and i'm super happy with the new addition.

Will get some pics (got some, but they're a little messy!) and post up soon. Specs from the website are here: http://www.benchmade.com/products/140
    Last edited by Myst; 5th May 2013 at 09:58 PM.
    Alan Specketer

Meopta MeoPro 10x42's

upgraded my optics from the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD's to the new Meopta MeoPro 10x42's. Sourced from The Optic Zone in the states, they were reasonably priced ($550 ex delivery) so I thought id give them a go.

Meopta have a stellar reputation and these binos didn't disappoint when I got them. They come standard with optics covers for both ends, a quality neck strap and a good sturdy padded case.

The clarity offered by these binos is superb. Its not the same as the super high end euro glass like Leica and Swaro, but they sure leave behind similarly priced offerings from Leupold, Bushnell and Nikon.

Images are super sharp and detail is vivid. These binos are offerning something like 99.8% light transmission, versus about 96% from the Bushnells. I wouldn't have thought that it would make that mush difference but it does.

Low light seems to make the greatest difference, with the Meopta's sucking in that extra bit of pre-dusk light that the Bushnell's missed. Having just spent the last two weeks doing surveillance with them, they are comfortable for prolonged periods of glassing and seemingly reduce eye strain compared to other brands of optics.

The Meo's are a little heavier, but only about 80g. They have a nice rubber armour coating and have easy adjustment for varying eye relief.

Haven't had the chance to get these out hunting yet, but hopefully i'll get an opportunity in the next few weeks. Stay tuned for more feedback when they get some dirt on them!
    Alan Specketer

Great read Myst I only just started looking at it I'm a bit of an armchair gear whore/survivalist so its been great to see some products that I might actually use tested. Just one question,what brand is your inline water filter? Is it actually a camelback brand ?
    75#@29.5" Martin ML-10 longbow "The WytchStyk" now a takedown
    72#@29.5" Mongolian horsebow from china
    Samick deer master w/ 35# & 55# limbs
    Opinions are like a#$holes everyone has one
    BigPete, its a camelback one, have used them for a few years now with no worries. Have also used the lifestraws, the USMC ones off fleabay and a few other brands and they just don't seem to remove the pooey taste from the water as well as the C'Bak ones.

Nice to know there are other gear whores out there!!
    Cheers
    Alan
    Alan Specketer

Had a look online there seems to be 2 sorts I gather yours is the MSR military one ? Do you have to buy the adapter kit too or can you fit it without?
    75#@29.5" Martin ML-10 longbow "The WytchStyk" now a takedown
    72#@29.5" Mongolian horsebow from china
    Samick deer master w/ 35# & 55# limbs
    Opinions are like a#$holes everyone has one
    yep, that's the one. Unfortunately it needs the adapter kit as it lacks the 'nipple' to attach the water tube directly to the filter, instead it uses some quick disconnects, if that makes sense.
    Alan Specketer

Bigpete, this is the one i have here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camelbak-Hyd...item2a2f1cb2e0
    Last edited by Myst; 19th July 2013 at 03:17 PM.
    Alan Specketer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123